Although it was already on everyone's radar, a member of our ward found out we were headed to South Dakota and recommended Bear Country USA. We were charmed by the bear bums and busts carved into the posts around the park:
You may be able to spot "Jonathan the Bear Man" carved below that last one, which piqued my curiousity. Turns out he's rather famous-- The Michelangelo of Wood-- and has carvings all over the US including Yellowstone. He's even done one that is recorded in Ripley's Believe It Or Not as the largest carving in the world. I didn't know all that when I snapped this picture of Ireland with one of the bears, but I'm glad I know now!
Although there were other animals inside the park, the bears were really the highlight. Seeing those massive animals lumbering around right outside our window was incredible. The only problem is that Sydney kept trying to get out of the car for a closer look.
Yeah, that wasn't going to happen.
The baby bears were so adorable, I just wanted to cuddle them. Apparently that's an option if you go at the right time of year. I was thrilled to find a Christmas ornament of a bear on a motorcycle in the gift shop. We missed the big bike rally but still it's a good representation of Sturgis- bears and bikes!
Next was Storybook Island. After the hefty price tag at Bear Country USA (and no AAA discount!), it was lovely to go somewhere that was fun and absolutely free. Here is their mission statement: Storybook Island’s mission is to provide a free, safe, educational environment for those young in years, or young at heart, to experience the power of imagination.
That's a philosophy I can fully support. The park was surprisingly big with lots of things to do. I love this sign near the entrance; such a lovely thought:
By far this merry-go-round was a favorite for Sydney:
Actually, for all the kids:
Maybe some of the adults too...:
This was one place everyone went back to because it was so perfect for the kids to play and mingle.
No comments:
Post a Comment