Our SNCP reunion began with a 3 AM departure. Brent insisted he wanted to get on the road early and I figured he'd sleep through his desired wake-up time. Nope, there he was, nudging me in the middle of the night. When I asked for 5 more minutes, he would have none of it and started making the bed with me in it. A little snooze was not going to happen. We planned to carry the girls in pajamas to their car seats and then make as much time on the road as possible while they slept. Well, they didn't sleep. They watched movies right through sunrise and by mid-day were still alert.
Steve and Sara were coming up from Kansas City and noted our paths would coincide around Sioux Falls, SD. The suggested meeting up to caravan the rest of the way to Sturgis. Brilliant. Since we arrived a tad earlier than they did, we let the girls out to stretch their legs and explore.
The falls were unexpectedly beautiful and the cool mist coming off of them was refreshing after being in the car for hours on end.
I was nervous about the girls scrambling around on the rocks but they each were sure-footed enough to navigate safely. Sydney needed help now and again but after a while even she refused help.
Egads Liesel is a little poser! The way she tips her chin down just a tad and looks up, the way she looks over her shoulder, the way she holds herself in general. I love taking pictures of her.
As our two well-balanced, yet neglected middle children, Brigitta and Ireland squabble more than any of the other sisters. Brent and I thought having them share a room would help which hasn't worked yet. This picture of them smiling and genuinely having fun together means the world to me right now.
I couldn't get enough of the red rock and exposed roots! The girls didn't keep their shoes on for long as they ran around, getting the kinks out of the long car trip.
This picture is SO Brigitta! This bridge made me nervous and she ran across it with no thought of danger. I asked her to slow down so I could take a picture and this is the one I got. So very mischievous that one!
Brent and his mini-me, right? He doesn't see it. HELLO!!! They are squinting exactly the same way!
Random bison statue. Random picture.
Running barefoot in the lush, cool grass was a highlight for the girls:
I love how getting a kiss from Dad is enough to make one almost cringe. I also love how my dear friend Sara is in the background looking perfectly calm and collected. She keeps me sane.
Family photo courtesy of the Thompsons. After this we were eager to get to the cabin and see the rest of the crew.
Mission accomplished! The little ones were finally tuckered out enough to sleep for a while.
No comments:
Post a Comment