Friday, April 01, 2022

Sydney's Utah Trip: BYU and the Heber Creeper

The traditional visit to BYU is always a highlight of these trips! I love that campus and have so many special memories there and I couldn't wait to spend some time there with Sydney. Our drive was spectacular- Sydney took this picture of the eastern side of Timpanogos and we wound our way down the canyon.
 
Our first stop was the bookstore- ironically they don't carry as many books as they used to because everyone uses a laptop these days. Sydney was really, Really, REALLY excited to get her BYU swag and we found a hoodie that was such a deep shade of pink, it almost looked red. We took pictures on the bench with Cosmo.

We'll make a Cougar of her yet!

Another Cosmo by the candy counter.

The kid's section has a Y mountain with a slide which is super cute.


There are so many fantastic places in the Cougareat but Sydney insisted she wanted Chick-fil-a.

She did appreciate that amazing chocolate milk from the BYU Creamery though! Best chocolate milk in the world right there!

I think this was her favorite part about eating on the mezzanine level- the swinging table.

Once she had eaten, Sydney threw on that hoodie, I updated the bow in her hair, and she fit right in with all the other students on campus.

LOVE those stairs!

We headed to the library and stopped by the spot where Uncle Tim met Aunt Whitney for their blind date

I always take the girls to the Reading Room. Not only is it a beautiful part of the library- underground but still filled with light- but you can hear a pin drop. It's full of students just studying away at every subject imaginable. We walked all the way to the back and stopped in a study room near the front where Sydney left her mark.

As we walked to the Maeser Building and the Testing Center, Sydney was quite and thoughtful. Finally she said, "I don't think this boy in my class named Christian is ever going to go to college." 
"Really? Why?" I asked.
"Well he bothers all the other kids in the class- including the teacher! He could never sit still like that."
"Maybe Christian will grow up and change...."
Sydney firmly asserted, "I don't think so, he's been that way since kindergarten."
I had to quietly laugh to myself. I always hope that when my girls see those diligent students in the Reading Room of the library, they will catch a vision of what's possible. Apparently the Reading Room did have an impact on Sydney, just not quite the one I thought it would be. 

We stopped by the museum and took in a little bit of culture.

I love this!

From there we headed over to my and Brent's old apartments. When I was a kid, I just couldn't imagine my parents having any kind of life before they were married to each other and well... were my parents! I hope showing the girls our apartments helps them to envision us as single, broke, college students. My old apartment looks exactly the same although someone added a cute little sign to the door- awe!


 
We walked further and further away from campus until we got to Alpine- Brent's old apartment and the place was completely boarded up! It never looked completely habitable, so I'm not sure what exactly happened or what the plans are for the place.

Sydney heartily agreed with all her sisters that the place was a hole and she threw up the only gang sign she knows- haha! Oh how I wish she could always stay this innocent. This is the Vulcan gang sign to live long and prosper.

One final stop at the stadium for a last photo op. Sydney looks so adorable in her new hoodie! I told her to climb on the back of the cougar and she yelled back, "Is it safe?" as she scrambled up there. 
"Probably not" I said and her face registered a look of shock and dismay. We got a good photo though!

We headed back up the canyon for our trip on the Heber Creeper. Despite all my time in Utah, I had never done it and Sydney was really excited.



I was pleasantly surprised! Yes it is an old train and could definitely use some freshening up, but the entertainment they kept rolling through was really charming. There was cowboy poetry, musical numbers, stories, etc. They gave the history of the railroad and pointed out some interesting sites. 

The snow-capped mountains looked really beautiful and it was lovely to just soak it all in.

The windows were old fashioned and once you opened them, a little piece of wood on hinges neatly tucked under it to keep them open. The weather was a little cool out but Sydney was in her hoodie and loved it.

Stunning, right? I'm glad Sydney and I have this little adventure to ourselves now.

We headed back to the hotel to do some more swimming and ended the night with some face masks.

Sydney loved it.


No comments: