Saturday, December 24, 2022

Christmas Eve at the MOSI and Rockefeller Chapel

It's actually been a minute since we've visited the MOSI and it was good to be back. We wandered among the many Christmas trees- I'm plotting to get another tree next year so we have two: a fancy tree and a kid tree. Seeing all the different decorations gave me some ideas and I'm currently thinking about a Scottish-themed tree bedecked with tartan ribbon and I dunno- bagpipes or something?

We checked in on the baby chicks which Sydney particularly loved.

Even the incubator was decorated for Christmas!


Brigitta, Ireland and Sydney are really into Stranger Things and there's a girl who can do lightning or something... I don't entirely get it... but we had fun taking photos that made it appear the girls have superhuman powers!

Liesel throwing lightning into the Tesla coils.


Ireland and I snuck into the Your Beginning section and watched the prenatal development video. With Whitney's pregnancy, this is on my mind lately. We stopped by the fetus that is about the same size hers is right now. 

We planned to go to Cafe Medici for dinner but found it closed for the holidays. Makes sense since the University of Chicago is one break but we were a little bummed. Pressed for time, we found a 5 Guys nearby which sounded fine and dandy to everyone so we stopped there. We wanted to find decent parking and good seats at Rockefeller Chapel so we headed over early. As luck would have it, we found a great parking spot right next to the chapel so we hopped over the snowbank and headed inside.



I love this program! I love the feeling of warmth that spreads through the chapel as Silent Night is sung and slowly everyone's candle is lit. 

I love the children who participate in the Nativity and I love singing carols in such a beautiful place with huge heavy wood doors and soaring ceilings and stained glass that glowed as the sun sank lower and lower in the sky. We ran into some senior missionaries on our way out who were a bit startled when we said hi. I tried to explain we are from the Crystal Lake 1st ward and they caught on that we are also members but still seemed a bit confused. 

On the way home we were able to see downtown Chicago all decked out in red and green lights, a friendly reminder of the season.

My Aunt Beck has a fantastic tradition in her family we decided to borrow. I bought a set of Christmas bells on a leather strap and starting with Sydney, she laid out all her presents and when she was done she rang the bells letting Gita know it was her turn and so on and so forth until Brent and I were the only ones left to lay presents under the tree. 


I really loved watching the tree go from bare to packed with presents!

I snapped a quick picture of the girls in their Christmas pj's and they were off to their sister sleepover in Brigitta and Ireland's room. 


Brent and I watched Better Off Dead while we stuffed stockings and then Meet Me in St Louis to boot while we snuggled on the couch. There's something about the tiny space between all the crazy Christmas preparations and the big day itself. The small moment of quiet and togetherness we get to sneak in. Man alive, I had no idea how much this year I needed it!

No comments: