
As Liesel's blessing day approached this past week Brent and I were invaded with visitors. In preparation for the onslaught of adoring grandparents, we took a trip to Shaws to ensure we'd have well-stocked pantries.
When I went away for college I used to thoroughly enjoy going to the store. I'd peruse the aisles and try out foods my mother never bought. That's when I learned I really like rye. I'd been raised on only white and wheat. I also delighted in purchasing smooth peanut butter because my mother believed peanut butter needed "texture" so we only ever had chunky. I finally bought skim milk because that's what I wanted. Ahhh, back in those days the stocked shelves were a delight to me.
Something changed when I began to notice how much money a trip to the grocery store could cost. Then I took stock of how much time a trip to the store ate into an evening. After a while I considered where all that time and money EVENTUALLY went... right down the toilet and the grocery store gradually lost it's appeal. Now I try to go grocery shopping the same way I'd rob a bank. Get in, get the goods and get out. I'm not opposed to speed walking up and down the aisles even.
Now that we've been married for a while, Brent and I have the grocery store errand down to an art. We start at produce, then the deli, work our way through the starches and breads and end with the dairy. Brent is particular about his apples and on this trip I left him to grab some lettuce. I walked back towards Brent, and put the lettuce in the cart and started to head to the deli. Perhaps it was kismet, but something told me to turn around. I did so in just enough time to watch Brent walk over to our REAL cart and put his apples in there.
How did I know it was our cart? Because it had the shopping list in it, the one we make before even attempting to go to the store so we don't spend any more time there than necessary. Frantically, I realized I'd stolen someone's grocery cart. Quickly I scanned the produce section and spied a guy with some bananas in his hand looking completely shocked, then incredibly irritated. Based on the look on his face, I could almost hear him thinking, "Sweet mother of Abraham Lincoln who would STEAL a grocery cart?" This was going to be embarrassing.
Sheepishly I ran over to him with his cart and explained I thought it was ours. Around this time, Brent clued in to what happened and when I walked over to him I whispered the story under my breath. Wanting to get out of the situation and away from the gentleman as quickly as I could, I hurried Brent out of produce. Just as we were achieving some distance, Brent yelled across the produce section, "SORRY AGAIN!!!" Aye mi, not my finest moment for sure.
8 comments:
Just wait 'til Liesel is big enough to demand the butterfly cart every time you go to the grocery store. That bright pink cart is pretty hard to miss.
ROTFL. That is way too funny. I still enjoy grocery shopping even though I had to drag two kids along. It definitely would be easier without them, but oh well. So this also prompts me to ask where your sweet baby was? Was she not with you and thus not in your shopping cart?
Sweet baby was in the snugli strapped around Dad. We almost couldn't get our shopping done because we were stopped every few feet with questions of how old she was and what was her name and oh look at her hair. It was SO fun but we kept running into this guy as we did our shopping and he'd just kind of laugh every time he saw me.
While Kate and I do have a system for getting through the grocery store, we are not usually in a hurry, because it's one of the few times we are actually out together. It's pretty sad, but we consider Macey's to be one of our date spots... I sure hope we find a great grocery store like them when we finally move out of Provo. Where else can you get a soft-serve ice cream cone (and a big one too) for only fifty cents?
That's really funny!
HAHAHA! Chelsea took my question right out of my mouth! I was thinking...."Wasn't she wondering where Liesel had gone to?" hehe It's SO fun to have a new baby somewhere other than Utah, where they aren't seen every two seconds, isn't it? I loved having Noah as a toddler and Eli as a newborn in Ohio, people stopped me and talked to them ALL the time. There was even an older gentleman that used to sit on the bench at the mall all the time. Every time he saw me, he would reach in his pocket, get two quarters, and motion for me to come put Noah on the little carousel. It was fun to read your post since I've been to Shaw's and could picture the WHOLE thing! Kiss my sweet niece for me!
HA H AH AH AHHA HA HA HA HA HAHAHAHAHHA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! OH MY GOSH this is the funniest thing I've heard all day. Did you end up putting random stuff in his cart? He'll go home and be like, "heeeeey, i didn't put carmel dip in my cart!"
I don't mind going to the store, I just hate waiting at the checkout with a toddler who is mesmerized by the huge wall of candy and starts asking for it. I always told myself I would never be one of those moms who bought some candy just to make my kid quiet. I will not BEND, but I now understand HOW TEMPTING THAT IS.
Last month, I did the same thing. Granted, I didn't walk more than 10 feet away before they real owner noticed and shot me a look. And once again, it was in the produce aisle!
Post a Comment