Thursday, October 02, 2008

It Was the Best of Times, It Was the Worst of Times

The economy is a mess. It's such a debacle of epic proportions I'm not even sure where to direct my outrage. Bush? Wall Street? Congress? Unscrupulous lenders? Liquidity-hoarding banks? The French? If I think about it too much I just start hating everyone. Lately I've noticed NPR's pleas for donations have hit a fevered pitch. "It's more important than EVER to give what you can so we can continue to bring you the news you count on! Just a dollar a month... or year will help and it's tax deductible!" Even Spare Change who regularly panhandles by the State House seems more desperate than usual. For those who live outside the Boston area, Spare Change is a homeless guy with a really husky voice and he just asks over and over "Do you have any spare change?" He probably had a proper name once (similar to Gollum who was much like a hobbit once) but even the local news stations call him Spare Change. Anyway, my point is that everyone is feeling the pinch. The election is looming near and I'm no closer to choosing a candidate than I am to choosing between dying by fire or ice. Obama wants to eliminate my entire industry soooooo he'd put me out of a job but John McCain has a really wrinkled neck. Seriously, he looks like the scarecrow from The Wizard of Oz and I don't know how qualified the scarecrow would have been to run a country with no brain and all. Plus McCain's Scottish. Since I'm also Scottish it's probably a safe bet our ancestors were in opposing clans and my forebears might just roll over in their graves if I voted for the progeny of their foes. Then there's always Nader. Hmmmm, November will definitely be a difficult decision for me. Recent projections state that heating costs are going to go up this winter, no matter what type of system you use. Brent and I have our budget so tight I don't know where we'll squeeze the extra funds from. We use public transportation, take our lunches to work, only shop from coupons and a well thought-out grocery list, etc. Ayede mi! Really, it's a mess.

In spite of that grim picture, I awoke yesterday morning absolutely giddy with anticipation. At long last, it's OCTOBER!!! I'm not one of those vitamin D-addicted sun worshipers who mourns the passing of a hot, humid summer with its sweat stains, body odor and TMI scanty clothing. I much prefer to celebrate the cool, crisp sweater-weather and brilliant colors of fall. I love the prelude to hunkering down during the bitter winter when staying in with a cup of hot chocolate and a good book are ideal. Ooooh yes, the beginning of October means that fall has officially arrived. I started off the 1st by getting "rabbits" which means I finally beat Brent to the punch and I'll have luck for the month. Liesel's 6 month birthday is today and well, I have to admit I'm proud I haven't done any irreversible damage yet. She's alive and what's more, she seems happy! *pats self on back* I must be doing something right. Later this month is my birthday and while it might be childish, I can't help but be excited for that too. Not that I expect outlandish gifts (although that Coach bag I've been crushing on for a month would be nice Brent) but it's SUCH a great day for me. On my birthday friends and family call, email, text and just make me feel more loved and cherished than on any other day of the year. I'm already thrilled to my toes about it. As of this posting, the Red Sox are up 4 to 1 against Anaheim. Call me crazy, but baseball is just better in October... especially for a Red Sox fan. Especially when the Yankees didn't even make it to the playoffs. Especially when we got along just swimmingly without Manny. I hope he's happy with his tiara collection there in LA.
With the fall comes some of my favorite outdoor activities like apple-picking and the maize maze. Halloween is at the end of the month and I can't remember EVER being so revved up for it! My sister Reagan sent me a costume she used for her girl last year and it is SO. DANG. CUTE! Liesel's going to be a Boston lobster for Halloween. The outfit is freaking adorable with her red hair. I seriously have to contain myself when she's in it or I'd hug her to death... "Ooooooh my sweet little baby lobster!" Did I mention Reagan also gave me her Gymbucks which are to be spent between October 2 and 12th? I can add them to my Gymbucks and voila, I have $50 of free baby clothing from my favorite baby clothing store. That's like putting Dracula in charge of the blood bank! Dunkin Donuts is bringing back their pumpkin glazed doughnut and pumpkin muffin. They both taste like all that's good in the world, baked into a delicious treat, covered in happiness, with a hint of ginger and bliss, then served with joy. Oh I almost forgot! We have daylight savings this month so I get to sleep in!!! No wait, or do we lose an hour? Hmmmm, and I think maybe Bush moved it to November? Okay, scratch that. Maybe I'll write that in as an issue on my ballot when I vote. I want daylight savings back in October. Anyway, my point is not to Pollyanna out on all you. I'm just saying that with the gallon of acid there's a pinch of sugar here and there. Oh how sweet it is!

3 comments:

Blair said...

Nader also has a wrinkled neck, I believe.

The Wuehler Wireless said...

We do move an hour back this time. Its spring that is forward. I do love the fall to. I hate the winter, but there are so many things to do in the fall and the weather is pleasurable!

Reggs said...

LOLOL...Dracula in charge of the blood bank. LOL!! So funny.
I can't wait to see what you get her! I had to give up my gymbucks, in the same way that an alcoholic pours their liquor down the sink. It had to stop SOMEWHERE...for the time being anyway. :)
Can't wait to see your lobster!!