Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Quality Education

It's a little-known fact that Massachusetts has the highest cost of daycare in the entire US. That's actually a well-known fact for anyone living in Massachusetts with children. I know many people who've looked into it before they even considered having children! Brent and I were fortunate enough to find one that's only $485 a week and we were wait-listed for just a few months. I know, we could probably support hundreds of children in the tribes of third world nations with that money but believe me, in these parts it's a good deal. Other day cares charge you $100 just to get on the waiting list. Not to actually get a spot, just to BE on the waiting list, which is about a year. The money isn't a registration fee either; like I said, it's JUST to be on the list. Since enrolling Liesel we've stopped calling it 'daycare'... we call it 'college' because it's about as expensive.

It stands to reason that at such a high price the place would run like a well-oiled machine. Liesel literally doesn't take a dump without us knowing about it. It's all written down on her "Family Communication" sheet which they complete daily, in duplicate. It includes all meals, naps, diapers and even her mood for the day. There's a spot for us to fill out at the top indicating when our child woke up, when she had her last meal, who can be reached most readily at which number (home/work/cell?) and any "special requests, medications, or information we need today." What can I say? I was feeling a little cheeky this morning and quickly scribbled in "Please read her Shakespeare today- Thanks!"

When I picked Liesel up from daycare I gathered her bottles and took my copy of the Family Communication sheet which noted the following: "Today I had a good day. I enjoyed playing with new babies who've started to participate in our school. Today I also enjoyed listening to Shakespeare's songs from 'The Tempest". They made me smile." My jaw dropped. I turned to the care givers, "You guys! I was totally kidding about the Shakespeare!" One of the new mothers who had been eyeing me as I read the sheet said, "I saw that and wondered..." Yeah, wondered if I'm already gunning for my child to have a 200 IQ? Wondering what Ivy League school I'm currently making nice, fat donations to? Wondering what kind of high maintenance mother demands that her 6 month old be quoted 16th century literature? Wondering if I'm a marketing rep for Baby Einstein? Yeah, I would have wondered too.

Turns out one of the caregivers is a part-time actress who has played numerous roles in Shakespearean plays. We chatted for a while about what she's done and whether she's ever been to Shakespeare on the Common and how my mother taught British Lit as a college professor, etc. etc. Even after all this I have to admit I felt a little sheepish as I gathered my little girl in my arms and headed home. Then something came over me and I started thinking about other requests I could make:

Please explain string theory and make sure Liesel has a firm understanding of the Grand Unified Theory of Physics.

Please help Liesel memorize all past presidents of the United States.

Please make sure Liesel gets in her 10 mile run today (she's training for the Boston Marathon)

Please teach Liesel to make lace.

At the moment, I'm feeling like the sky's the limit :)

4 comments:

Cheryl and William said...

Wow! That really is quite the bargain for daycare if she's getting a college level education for that much! Have her start doing some integrals and derivatives to provide her with an initial jump start in math :-)

Lisa said...

I think you should start asking for things YOU need to have done in Liesel's name. "Please help Liesel balance her checkbook in the diaper bag." "Please help Liesel prepare a lesson on Charity." "Please teach Liesel how to sort colors, and do laundry (for your convenience, I have included some articles of clothing you can help her learn on)."

Faye said...

You make me laugh. I would have never thought to ask them to read Shakespeare. I am surprised that they actually did it to. Must be a great "college" ;)

Reggs said...

that is pretty sweet! I love Lisa's idea. Drop Liesel off with your laundry, its like two birds with one stone!