Some women make tons of tiny baby blankets... and they give them away. Other women fixate on one pattern and make 3 quilts in different colors... and then give them away. Me? I make one or possibly two incredibly difficult quilts a year. I pick something way beyond my skill level and relentlessly work to make my vision into a tactile reality. My quilts only come in two sizes: large and huge. And if you've ever managed to receive one of my creations as a gift... well, count yourself lucky because I RARELY give them away. Blood sweat and tears go into every one not to mention a pretty penny. So these are the ideas I have floating around my mind:
A Hawaiian Breadbasket in red and white with dupioni silk. I want to do the backing in a French toile (red and white obviously). The Hawaiians believe when you quilt you leave a piece of your soul behind in the quilt. It would have to be done entirely by hand... applique (which I hate) and echo quilting (which would take forever). I don't know what I'm thinking, but this project calls to me.
A Sunbonnet Sue Gone Bad: I've referenced this in an earlier blog post but those ideas still rattle around my brain. The Yankees fan Sue especially. The Word of Wisdom Sue. I don't know, they're begging to be made. Again, lots of applique (which I still hate). This quilt would be a sort of exorcism because really, I can't stand the Sunbonnet Sue quilts.
A Stack N Whack: Back when I attended quilt guild with the blue-haired bitties one of the month's presenters talked about stack n wha
ck quilts. They look amazing and are supposedly incredibly easy. All you really have to do is find the right patterned fabric and the result is a kaleidoscope-esque creation. One of the things I love about quilting is definitely the fabric. I hold it, stroke it, pet it, listen to it (different fabrics say different things to me, no lie) and most importantly OBEY it. Never go against what a fabric wants done. If you don't you destroy it's life destiny... and yours.
ck quilts. They look amazing and are supposedly incredibly easy. All you really have to do is find the right patterned fabric and the result is a kaleidoscope-esque creation. One of the things I love about quilting is definitely the fabric. I hold it, stroke it, pet it, listen to it (different fabrics say different things to me, no lie) and most importantly OBEY it. Never go against what a fabric wants done. If you don't you destroy it's life destiny... and yours. I need help here! What's your vote? Which one should I pursue?


5 comments:
FIRST of all, you ROCK for helping me out on my quilt today!!! Seriously, Katrina and I had our panties in a bundle thinking that we didn't have enough fabric...fabric that was purchased FOUR YEARS AGO and couldn't be replaced. All is well now.
As for my vote, gee...they would all make me feel all the more like a quilting loser. Reagan makes a log cabin quilt, takes 2 years. Danika makes the friggin mariner's compass in 20 minutes while sitting on the T. NOT FAIR! (Although, I really am partial to the toile breadbasket one! Super cool!)
My quilts also only come in queen. I just hate wall hangers. WALL HANGERS! Useless.
I will have to brag, though. I OWN ONE OF YOUR QUILTS!! And it is for rills my favorite quilt that you've ever made. Purple Passions. Mine! Mine! Mine! (and the heavy wool quilt which will also be mine someday).
Katrina will also one day be persuaded (perhaps at gunpoint) to give me her Americana quilt. And dang it, I am getting mom's flannel quilt because IT WAS MY IDEA. IIIIII was the one who said, "mom, do one with all plaid flannels!" MINE!!
And after that is all accomplished, I will sit on my leather couch and roll in my stolen quilts. Ahhhhh...
I love the first option...the Hawaiian one. It is simple, yet complicated. I love quilts that look stunningly simple, but on closer inspection yield the hardship and skill needed to create it. I wish I could quilt! Someday, you will have to teach me. I made a birth mother and matching baby quilt before Andrea was born, but my mother in law did most of the work and I just sewed what she directed. Good luck! Janeal
I, too, vote for the Hawaiian one. It is the most difficult, and trust me when I say, there will NEVER be a better time to do it. Well, maybe when you are 92, but then, how much - and how long - will you really be able to enjoy it?
I have launched into my coveted yellow and white fabric (birthday present) for a queen sized quilt. I was ready, and willing, to do a very complicated pattern, but something very simplistic and beautiful presented itself. It's a 9 patch and a snowball. No curves. Which surprised me. But it will be so fresh and adorable. The fabric is now cut into neat little stacks and it is SO satisfying.
Bagel is also enjoying a measure of success with her quilt, and it will be a queen size in no time flat. It has been fun to work along side her and watch it come together. She takes direction so well, and has accomplished in 4 afternoons, what took 4 weeks of afternoons to do. GO BAGEL!
Oh... and did I mention that I will be pulling out my SILK batting? Should be DELISH.
Happy quilting!!! (and let me know when you do Bad Sunbonnet Sue... I'll go in on that quilting group)
LOVE quilt 1. love it, love it, love it, love it.
OK, I'm the nay sayer here...but the Hawaiian bread basket is by far my least favorite. Sorry! I think your Sun Bonnet Sue gone bad is hilarious! And who couldn't use a little humor in the dead of winter? And everytime you finish one little Sue, you would admire it and laugh.....and laugh.....and laugh. I also like the stack and whack, whack and stack, whack a mole, whatever it is. Although it could make my eyes go silly! YOU GIVE YOUR QUILTS AWAY????!!! SINCE WHEN? *holds hands out*
Post a Comment