Didn't know that. How come everyone else does? Why did you all selfishly keep this information to yourselves? Why didn't you all warn us about this? "Hey Danika, Gymboree is having a sale. By the way, don't put potato peels down your sink." "Great Red Sox game Brent! Have I ever told you it's not a good idea to put potato peels in your sink?" "I love you so much little Liesel. Because I do I'd like to pass on a valuable little tid bit: never EVER put potato peels in your sink!"
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Information That Would Have Been Useful YESTERDAY!
So apparently you're not supposed to put potato peels in your disposal. I guess the starch gums everything up. And apparently filling the sink with hot water in the hopes the stuck potato will cook and soften isn't a good idea either. I guess the water just backs up and drips out of your dishwasher, through the floor and onto your storage in the basement below. Apparently the busiest day of the year for plumbers is the day after Thanksgiving as noted in this article. I guess my favorite part is the guy who paid the plumber $100 not to tell his wife it was, you guessed it, the potato peels.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Yah, you aren't supposed to put potato peels or spaghetti in the disposal. Peelings in general just clog everything up.
Also, Spaghetti expands in your pipes, then the flour in them gets massively sticky and clogs you up good.
And, if you ask mom, you will ALSO know not to flush it down your toilet. I can't remember exactly WHAT it was that didn't flush, but - it didn't flush.
A good thing to try, if you've ignored these warnings - is baking soda and vinegar. There is a story about someone who exploded out an entire hotel though, so do it judiciously...
Okay, here are a few more secrets. The first one is something that my sister somehow never learned in our car-obsessed family (?!), and the second is something I learned really fast after Beth was born:
You have to change the oil in your car. Every 3,000 miles is recommended...but it will keep your car running longer if you do it every 2,000 miles, especially if all you do is city driving.
Always wash baby socks in a lingerie bag until said baby is about 2 years old. Itty bitty socks can get stuck in the inner workings of your washer, blow out the pump, and require a $150 fix.
Anyone else? I'd love to hear what other people have learned that I don't know!
wow...I must be really out of the loop on what not to do! I'm with you Danika, I had no idea.
I learned so much from this post, and i had NO IDEA. About the potatoes, the spaghetti or the socks.
It reminds me of that episode of Sex and the City where Carrie says, "Nobody EVER says "did you back up your work?" until JUST NOW. But nooooo, I guess everyone has been going home at night and secretly backing up on their computers." LOLOL. Classic.
(waiting for Scott to weigh in about backing up your hard drive)
Post a Comment