Tuesday, September 08, 2015

Victoria, British Columbia

Whitney, Mom and I pulled out our passports for a day trip to Canada.

I've never been on a ferry that you drive your car onto! I know it's little, but I thought it was so cool. Mom treated us to a warm breakfast.

One thing we didn't fully think through is that our cell phones wouldn't work without an international data plan. Whitney purchased a map but it's when we drove by a church building that things really clicked. Thank heavens the Church has standardized all WiFi passwords! With a little web searching, we were on our way to Craigdarroch Castle.

Wandering the rooms of this beautiful and historic home is something I just never could do with little ones in tow. I soaked up every minute of it!


While driving around, I spotted this little cupcake shop and asked if we could stop. With no set agenda, Whitney turned the car around and we tried it out. What a cute name, Crumsby's!

Brigitta would have eaten these up, literally!

Because the cupcakes were so small, it felt like just a little treat.

This is what I opted for and the little cup of milk was perfect.

So sweet!

 This place had a really good vibe and I have to admit, I missed the girls. They would have loved it.

The decor was cheerful and bright.

 They had a play area inside and buckets of bubbles outside.

I'd heard wonders about Butchart Gardens and wanted to see it, but at $30.45 per person, we ended up just driving by. In doing so, we missed our ferry ride from Sidney so we booked it back to Victoria and caught the last ferry home to the States. I certainly didn't mind another view of this pretty coastal town!



The ferry ride from Victoria to Port Angeles was nothing short of magical. The clouds were amassed at the base of the mountains. There were only about a dozen people on the deck and there was a silence and stillness that added to the experience. It felt like we were headed into the final scene of Lord of the Rings it was so incredibly beautiful.

That moment in time is my new happy place. I was on vacation in a foreign country seeing something I'd never seen before in the peace and beauty of God's earth. 
It just doesn't get better than that.

No comments: