Thursday, November 09, 2023

Glorious Vacation Day 1: Disneyland

We were up bright and early to be at the front of the line for security so we could be at the front of the line for the entrance so we could be a the front of the line for rope drop. In all my research, I found out about the First Pickle of the Day pin and Gita really, really wanted it. Trying to manage expectations, I told Gita that might not be a possibility. However on that first day as everyone rushed down Main Street I noticed a little fruit cart on the right side. It just so happens that was the place to get a pickle! Hoards of people ran past while I plucked one out of the pile of ice and paid for it. I wasn't sure if I had to ask for the pin or what so I said, "Did I get the first pickle of the day?" just as the cast member handed me the pin. I got it! I hurried down Main Street to find everyone where Gita was ecstatic to have the pin and Ireland immediately feasted on the pickle. 


 Because we were staying at the Disneyland Hotel, we were entitled to Magic Mornings so we could enter the parks an extra 30 minutes before everyone else. We were hoping to repeat our very first ever day in Disneyland and start with Space Mountain but we learned not only is it NOT available for Magic Mornings, but it was down. We decided to kick things off at the Matterhorn instead.


Turns out the Matterhorn also is not a Magic Morning ride. However, we decided to keep our spot at the front of the line so when it did open, we could knock that one off the list. While we waited, we snapped some pics.







At long last they opened and again, we were at the very front!


Alice and Wonderland was a new ride for the girls. 


Mad Tea Party was an old favorite with their dad.




It's a Small World was closed and we didn't want to do Toontown so we headed over to Tomorrowland to meet up with Grandma and Grandpa who were riding Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters over and over. Alond the way we ran into Captain Hook!


Next was Star Tours where Sydney met someone with her same taste in ears.



We all decided to do the Jungle Cruise where we learned that though we had invested in Genie+ we also had Jeanne which was a PLUS! Because she was in a scooter with limited mobility, we were able to skip the lines in this part of the park. We pretty much walked right onto this ride and while it was amazing to again see "the backside of water," Brent and I noticed the piranha that usually jump out of the water weren't entirely working. The water would just bubble and our skipper joked that they were blow fish instead.



We again enjoyed the benefits of Jeanne PLUST at Pirates of the Caribbean where we were also introduced to the way our Magic Bands lit up with certain attractions. Kind of nice since they were so dang expensive!

Even though it was a bit early, we were pretty hungry at this point so we tried out Tiana's Palace. I had to take a moment inside because the details are really, really beautiful. So beautiful that apparently I forgot to snap a photo! Of all the places I researched, this one was the most confusing. For every good review there was a bad review so we tried the muffuletta, shrimp & grits, and the house-filled beignets. With the girls settled in, Brent and I also ran over to Bengal BBQ for some skewers and a jingle julep. We loved everything- especially the shrimp and grits! The muffuletta was a little soggy but then again I didn't eat it right away, I was running to Bengal BBQ with Brent. I think all the bad reviews of the house-filled beignets were by people who don't generally eat beignets because they were delicious! loved the lemon. As we wrapped up, Tiana herself stopped by and noted we had licked our plates clean.


With renewed energy we took advantage of Jeanne PLUS and went to Indiana Jones (one of my favorites). Everyone had taken off their ears but when we exited our jeep, Liesel's were nowhere to be found. With the next group waiting to board we had to leave and she was devastated. They were from her very first trip and were sentimental to her. The cast members said we could check back and with that we decided to head to Tom Sawyer Island which was new to me and the girls. I heard some of the best restrooms are on the Island and we used the first restroom we could find which was clean but just a couple of stalls and really cramped. 





As the girls scampered around, Brent explained his parents took them there so they could get out some energy while the grownups rested a bit. There was no thrill ride on the island which is why we'd skipped it last time but this time we really had a lot of fun. 



This little part of the island became a big favorite! I think the wheel was supposed to lift things in the nearby water or something but as you can see from the sign in the background, that was broken. 
It became a THING and each of the girls wanted to see how long they would last while Brent spun them around and around.

We had a Genie+ reservation at Rise of the Resistance where I realized I wanted to be a cast member for the Empire and order people on where to stand. My mom voice would definitely be an asset and I do like things in order!





Such an incredible ride!

Then it was on to Smuggler's Run.


Lots of screaming on this one.

At this point we were ready to head back to the hotel and to save our feet a bit, we took the Monorail. While we waited we took some more pictures because I mean, look at that view! In this first picture I love how you can see the reflection of the girls in my sunglasses.






I could have sworn there used to be a Monorail stop in DCA but we whizzed right by.

I was happily enjoying the hot tub when a man came in with his drink. He asked me if drinks were allowed- usually glass isn't welcome near water. I told him I didn't know but I wasn't a narc and I was sure he was fine. Eventually a lifeguard noticed and sternly rebuked him so I piped up, "I tried to tell him but he wouldn't listen!" The look that man gave made me laugh SO HARD!!! I'm laughing even thinking about it. Anyway, after a long soak and swim we headed back to the park. 


We had a Genie+ reservation for Big Thunder which was a thrill ride we needed to hit before the day was out!

Going up!


Going down!

I'd learned from watching Behind the Attraction on Disney+ that if you look at the goat while going around the curve, it will feel like you are going faster. We noticed our bands lit up as we were in the tunnel with the dynamite which was cool to see too!

With the sun going down, it was time to fill our incredible popcorn bucket and we headed to another new-to-us attraction, Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway. Since we didn't have to wait in a long line, we hung out on the green just outside. Sydney had a lot of fun taking photos and video- Toontown was very much her vibe. 


Mickey and Minnie's is an adorable ride! We had so much fun on this one and decided to do it again on another day in Disneyland.


A bit blurry, but this is a picture of Walt Disney on a train and that sweet 


We met up with the grandparents by Edelweiss treats for some turkey legs and garlic pretzel twists (YUM!) and decided to split off. Brent and I wanted to spend the first night on our own date but it was getting downright chilly. Since we were headed back to the hotel for warmer clothes, the girls asked if we would grab stuff for them as well. I don't mind a stroll down Main Street at night!


Brent and I decided to do Autopia and for some reason the line was long and didn't move very fast. The screeching of the cars got old fast, as did the smell. The announcements in both English and Spanish became irritating... "Hola, yo soy BIRD!" After our ride we took the nearby Monorail back to the hotel and just relaxed. 

The girls made the most of the park. After a longer than posted wait at Dumbo, Sydney and the grandparents headed over to Galaxy's Edge to do Smuggler's Run (they got TWO containers of coaxium!) and Rise. Sydney really loves piloting the Millenium Falcon so she did the side to side while grandma did the up and down.

Space Mountain was finally operating again but had a long line. Liesel & Gita decided to do it and were happy to be the first in the family to get to ride it. Even though the park closed at 10 they didn't get off the ride until 10:45 making for a VERY late night for them. 

Meanwhile Ireland was happy to do the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage.


Eventually everyone made their way back to the hotel after a very full day and slept hard!

No comments: