Oi.
Sydney's 10th birthday party was quite the debate around here. Brent felt strongly that since she was turning 10 while we were in Disneyland, that should be sufficient. I felt strongly that just because her birthday happens to fall at an ideal time of year to go to Disneyland, and all her sisters would likewise be there, even though it was not their birthday, it merited a celebration of its own. I'd also recently watched Les Miserable so I was vibing off of the Egalite! Fraternite! Liberte! ethos and I'm a middle child so fairness is not just important, it is critical to me in parenting.
Each of Sydney's older sisters had their 10th birthday party at the American Girl place in Chicago where they also had their ears pierced right along with their doll. Ipso facto, Sydney had to have the same opportunity! It was absolutely, positively, the only FAIR thing to do! Will you join in the fight that will give you the right to be free? Do you hear the people sing? Viva la France! OK I may be going overboard a bit here but Brent reluctantly agreed to let Sydney have her 10th birthday party rather than go to war with his wife. She and her doll took a step close to adulthood and had their ears pierced.
Sydney got to be the center of attention as she opened her gifts. We generally buy the girls new backpacks when they move from the elementary school to middle school and then middle school to high school. Apparently Sydney didn't want to wait anymore because she received a backpack she had surreptitiously asked for as a gift. It was kind of perfect though because she had something to carry everything in!








No comments:
Post a Comment