Saturday, November 11, 2023

Glorious Vacation Day 3: Disneyland (again)

It was around this time it ocurred to me there was really no reason for me to go and stand in the security line with Brent. He was holding our place so I could continue to get myself and the girls ready as well as tidy the hotel rooms a bit. This is what happened for the rest of the trip and a couple of times I was running to join him in line because I'd really cut it down to the wire. 

Since she had lost her phone with her Till card, Brent gave Ireland a little cash to see if she could get that coveted first pickle of the day. She did!

With Space Mountain at long last up and running, we had the morning we had all be craving by walking on to this ride.



Look how happy everyone is! This ride is such a family favorite.


Although we'd done Astro Blasters, I really wanted to ride it with BJ. In our family I'm usually the high scorer but BJ's skills are unmatched and he handily beat me. For some reason his score wouldn't post and he wanted bragging rights for the day so he stayed back while the rest of us went to Astro Orbiter. 


Around this time everyone realized you could not run, but there was not rule against skipping. All morning Brent and the girls aggressively skipped through the park to hit as many rides as humanly possible.



It's a Small World was down on our first day in Disneyland and had opened on the day we were in DCA. I'm not sure if it was just for the holiday refurbishment or if something needed to be repaired but it was a ride most of the girls had never been on and Liesel hadn't been on since she was a toddler. It was fun to ride this oldie but goodie with her again as a teen.  

Of course the little girls loved it!





We headed over Toontown to spend some quality time in that part of the park. On our last trip we never went there and this time we really enjoyed it. After hitting all the thrill rides I think it was nice to do something that was more Sydney's pace for a bit. 


The Chip N Dale's GADGET Coaster was adorable- a kiddie version of the Incredicoaster.


The popsicle stick railing was so cute! With the colors still staining part of the stick just like they do in real life.

I'm not sure if the spoon is holding peanut butter or honey but no worries, Ireland didn't actually lick it!

We had a little time to hang out while we waited for our Genie+ reservation for Mickey and Minnie's.


We discovered by pressing this lever different things would happen in the building behind.

After Mickey & Minnie's we tried out Roger Rabbit's Toontown Spin. It's been ages since I've seen that movie so the nostalgia was high! Having done pretty much all there is to do in Toontown, we again again took advantage of Jeanne PLUS and went to Indiana Jones. In general I don't mind the line at this ride, there's stuff to look at and the hieroglyphs to decode. However, when there's an option to skip the line, we will take it every time!


I love this ride! How many rides have fire?



Another attraction that was closed on our last trip was the Adventureland Treehouse so a few of us decided to try it. Back in the day it had been themed to Tarzan but now it was rethemed to the Swiss Family Robinson.

Eh, it was ok. You still have to really watch your step with all the stairs!

We did Big Thunder.

Jeanne was really keen to do the Haunted Mansion. Normally we would have skipped it but found with Jeanne PLUS we didn't have to wait so we decided to go for it. Lots of people play games while waiting an I decided to find out which one of the girls was the biggest Swiftie. On my phone I pulled up random song lyrics and read them out loud with no melody. The first girl to accurately name the song won and I have to say I was insanely impressed with Sydney! 


Even though Sydney had a big birthday celebration back in Chicago, we weren't going to let the actual day slip by unnoticed. Like last time, we had a reservation at Cafe Orleans but for some reason they opened 20 minutes late. Brent waited with his sister and parents near the entrance while I took the girls down by the banks of the Rivers of America to hang out a bit. Around this time we received word that Ireland's phone had been found and was ready for pickup at the Lost and Found. At long last we made it into the restaurant.


There's just nothing better than those Monte Cristo sandwiches and pomme frites! Liesel also enjoyed some jambalaya- just like she did when she was just a toddler at the park.

This year we decided to try the dark chocolate Mickey cake rather than the white chocolate.



Sydney couldn't have been happier!


After being on the Chocolate Challenge for so long, she was pretty happy to get her fill!

We headed back to the hotel to relax a bit.

On the way back, Brent and Ireland stopped at the Lost and found for her phone. Brent also asked about Liesel's ears and after describing them and where they'd been lost, the sweet cast member became so excited. She disappeared to the back and came out with Liesel's precious ears. Everyone was so relieved and I wish I could say determined not to lose anything... more on that later.

Around this time I really started to have trouble with a blister on my foot. The odd thing is I was wearing the same shoes I use on my early morning walks- up to 4 miles a day! I tried a different pair of shoes which only made it worse. I really just wanted to rest and relax a bit so Brent and Gita were ready to back before the rest of us with Jeanne and Jennifer. Upon entering the parks they saw Goofy and Minnie!



I love this photo!


They took in all the beauties of Main Street during the holidays.



Brent did the Mad Tea Party and King Arthur's Carousel



Meanwhile I took the Monorail with the other girls where Liesel lost her phone (AGAIN!). We all went on Indiana Jones and the Jungle Cruise. Grandpa had not yet come back to the parks and was ready to get on the Monorail. Brent called him and to everyone's GREAT relief, he found Liesel's phone. I wish I could say this gave everyone a renewed determination not to lose anything... more on that later. 

On our last trip we skipped the Enchanted Tiki Room. Brent's memories from childhood were that it was kind of lame and we were trying to cram in as many thrill rides as possible. This time I felt we should give it a go. I think having spent time in Hawaii this year made this a lot more fun. Even Brent enjoyed it!

We hadn't had the famous hand-dipped corndogs so we headed to Stage Door Cafe where Brent also ordered some chicken tenders and the Mickey-shaped funnel cake. At this point, Liesel had been sobbing over her lost phone, the girls were crying, my foot was really hurting, it was getting cold and I just needed some space. I left everyone to enjoy some more of the park while I headed back to the hotel. Just as there had been a water show with World of Color, there was a smaller version on the Rivers of America. I didn't stay for the whole thing but it was fun to see that area of the park all lit up, especially since the fireworks had been cancelled due to wind.

I didn't get very far because I wandered into a store to keep warm and found an adorable coat that was perfect for Gita! It was reasonably priced and the last one in her size so I bought it. Knowing she would need it, I reconnected with everyone to pass along the coat to a grateful Gita who slipped it on right away. 

While I relaxed at the hotel, everyone else went to Star Tours which was so empty they were able to ride multiple times. Gita was even singled out as being the rebel spy. Sydney had some money to burn and she bought herself a light saber. I had no idea she was even all that interested in Star Wars, but man she loved that light saber. Liesel and Gita did Mickey and Minnie's twice- once with Genie+ and once in the regular standby line. Turns out the standby line was really fun! See the condiments with Your Cheese and Nacho Cheese? Haha!



Meanwhile Brent took Sydney on Autopia where they both agreed she has a way to go in her driving skills. Everyone met up to do the Matterhorn at which point Ireland returned to the hotel. Brent and Sydney hit up Smuggler's Run then Liesel and Gita joined them and they went again. 

Everyone went on Big Thunder and then Gita took the Monorail back to the hotel with the grandparents. Technically it was supposed to be Sydney's 1:1 night but since I wasn't there and Liesel was, she just decided to tag along. Those three went on Space Mountain which had closed and opened again. They closed out the park walking down Main Street and enjoying those beautiful holiday decorations.


No comments: