Sunday, November 30, 2025

November Tid Bits

First some flowers!
 

These double tulips caught my eye- so beautiful!

Sydney: I HATE IT when you say "Up and attem!"
Me: Well what would you prefer I say?
Ireland: *quietly to self* Up and Eve?

Having figured out the e-bikes by my work I have been enjoying lots of beautiful fall rides on my lunch hour. I'm sure the trail makes a loop, but I am directionally challenged and got a little lost. I had to call Brent for location help to get back and by the time I made it to the office my knees were shot and I was walking like John Wayne. 

We see lots of deer in these parts, but not a 10-point buck! Just casually hanging out there by that house in the morning as I dropped the girls at school. 

Love the sunrises I get to see from my building!

We had our first Thanksgiving at a proper dining table with our wedding china and everything! What was kind of a playroom is officially a dining room and I'm feeling so grown up now. We did the traditional gratitude ABC's and music kept coming up so we did one round of just songs we love. Then we listened to some of them as we cleaned up. It was so fun! And the most popular dish? Rud kohl!

I had a massive craving for Texas sheet cake and was hoping I could get Gita to make it for me. 
Me: Remember the story of the First Thanksgiving when the pilgrims and the Indians had a feast with celery and fish and Texas sheet cake?
Gita: Huh?
Brent: The pilgrims didn't bring Texas sheet cake!
Me: No the Indians brought it because back then it was still their territory. 
Brent: Right... and they called it Texas? We are already having cherry crumble pie which you requested!
Me: Well that would go good with the Texas sheet cake!

I lost. We did not have Texas sheet cake.

Because I'd already taken time off for Disneyland, I had to work the day after Thanksgiving. Brent brought the girls by to meet me for lunch and then dropped them at the mall to do Christmas shopping while he mailed our Christmas cards. The office was pretty quiet and seeing them in the middle of the day broke things up really nicely! I'm glad they could meet some of the coworkers I've been talking about.


They were excited to check out my workspace which has some pretty cool areas like this one with the swings. We also have a cooler filled with ice cream treats and I showed them the game room. Next time they meet me for lunch, we'll eat down in the game room!

For my birthday, Brent took me to see CSO play How to Train Your Dragon. The weather took a nasty turn and we were a little worried but decided to take the train. The initial plan was to go early and grab dinner downtown then go to the show. Liesel was having a night and in tears and I didn't want to leave in a rush. We talked and when she was in a better place, we knew there was a slim chance of catching the train. So we decided to have dinner in Crystal Lake and catch the next train, which was great! We feasted on pad thai and found a whole bunch of people at the train station who were also headed to the concert! It was actually really fun and during the commute Brent came up with a great Christmas wish list. He's one of the hardest people to shop for and it really took a load off my shoulders to have some suggestions to throw to the girls.

I had worn my Uggs but they are old, and definitely not water-proof. The streets of Chicago were filled with slush and pretty soon my shoes and bottom of my jeans were too. By the time we took our seats, my feet were wet and freezing. However, we were in the balcony on the very end so I discreetly took off my shoes, soaking wet socks and rolled up my pant legs. My sainted husband loaned me his sweater which I used to dry and wrap up my feet and then I laid my coat on my lap to cover it all. If it weren't for Brent's sweater, I would have been miserable but we settled in and enjoyed the concert. 
During intermission, Brent used the restroom and grabbed wads of paper towels so I could try to dry off my socks and the inside of my shoes. Having made the walk to the concert hall, I knew I could survive the walk back but by the end of that train ride I was DONE! They say there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing and I am a testament to that! Waterproof winter boots are now at the top of my own wish list! 

I was eagerly anticipating Romantic Flight as I think it's one of the most beautiful songs in animated cinema. To my surprise, it began with a beautiful solo performed by the concert mistress. We have been to many CSO concerts so of course we have heard her play- but to get to hear her play solo was such a treat. It just made my heart soar and as the orchestra filled in and we were enveloped in that incredible music, I smiled at Brent. The perfect birthday gift. I'm partial to strings but this concert really made me appreciate the percussion and horns. Oh it was so beautiful!


Do you think maybe Ireland needs some new snow pants? Or could she make these work for another year- haha!

Brigitta was complaining that making herself lunch was too hard and I said her ancestors were going to hear her moaning about instant mac n cheese and haunt her.

No comments: