Tried and True- MOSI
Epic- we avoided the bigger attractions and found some fun little corners of the museum. Like this one where you can try to beat your time milking a cow.
Epic- bringing a new friend along. She really loved it.
Epic- we finally used the fire pit in the backyard! I was worried it would be horribly hot and humid but the trees provided a lot of shade and there was a slight wind. The girls loved their hot dogs and s'mores. The best part? Unlike camping, we all showered the smokey smell right off and then slept in the air conditioned house.
Tried and True- I gave the girls free reign to play with my makeup. This kept them busy for hours!
Apparently kissy faces are requisite once you're all dolled up!
Tried and True- MOSI (again)
Epic- We put a blowup mattress in the back of the truck and invited our friends to meet us at the drive-in to watch the live action Lion King.
Epic- We became Hotel Chicago and hosted so many guests. Sooo many guests! There was family coming in an out all summer long, nothing new there, but then we had a bunch of people who have never stayed with us before. Half of them we knew and loved (like sweet Madilyn here) and half of them were complete strangers in town for festivals or to visit friends and needed a safe place to crash.
Hebrews 13:2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
Epic- We attended the reception for this adorable couple.
Tried and True- We went to a handful of parks. Fewer than in years past when the girls were younger, but we fit some in!
Epic- Well, not really epic but I did try "warm" toned makeup. Still not sure it's the best look on me but I tried it!
Tried and True- The girls all attended American Ninja Warrior Camp. Even better, I regained my sanity for a few hours every day that week.
Tried and True- My parents blew through town on their way to a Model A tour up north.
Epic- On their way back, Dad used his welding skills to help us repair our lawnmower. When he was done, he fine-tuned the girls bikes.
Tried and True- We met Brent for lunch at Costa Vida. YUM!
On that note, Sydney learned to ride a bike! I wish we could take credit for helping our daughters with this rite of passage, but most of the girls were taught by the neighbor. And she's younger than Ireland.
Epic- While Liesel was getting her bearings at the middle school, we tried our hand at mini golf. Ireland was willing to take some pointers on her swing...
...while Brigitta played what can only be described as Drag A Ball Into the Hole...
... and Sydney rather enjoyed losing her ball in the myriad of water ways.
In many ways this was a hard summer. My time in Iowa City was particularly hard- it always is when I'm dealing with the girls alone and I can't tap out when Brent gets home. Something about this year made it even harder.
In many ways this was an easier summer. Sure the kids drove me bat crap crazy, but it wasn't as bad as past years where I didn't even want to get out of bed to face motherhood and those endless days of summer. I kept thinking about how I'd be able to enjoy the peace and quiet in the fall when they were all in school full-time. I lived on that thought often. I'm really proud of the new things we tried in spite of the challenges of summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment