This summer was epic. Although we held on to a lot of traditions like trips to Iowa City, Nauvoo and Lake Michigan, ANW Camp, lunch downtown, etc. we tried some new things as well. Improv Camp was a resounding success. Slowly but surely, we are solidifying our own way of celebrating the 4th of July. Not to mention our home became Hotel Chicago for a slew of visitors for weeks on end.
With the girls getting older, it was an easier summer but definitely not easy by any stretch of the imagination. I felt strongly that this was the last summer of innocent childhood for all my daughters. Sydney's starting school full-time and Liesel is beginning middle school. In some ways it was just a typical summer. But so many others this was a watershed moment for our family. The winds of change are blowing and I can feel it deep down in my bones. That feeling nagged at me incessantly all summer long.
Our schedule was so jam packed and Midwest summer storms being what they are, I wasn't even sure we'd be able to make the traditional trip downtown. Turns out the weather was on our side and we headed for Buckingham Fountain to make those oh so critical school-year wishes.
I love this little tradition. They never tell me their wish so it's a sweet moment of privacy and independence as they anticipate the school year to come. Their hopes and dreams are truly their own as they toss in their coins.
It was hot so everyone was happy to cool off in at the splash pads in Maggie Daley Park.
I'm not sure what the appeal is in sitting on these but if one of my kids isn't doing it, someone else's is!
The bridge over to the Bean is pretty cool although it's high. I told Liesel to jump so I could snap a quick photo and this one cracks me up. Brigitta didn't want to put her shoes back on and she just about burned the soles of her feet. She tried shuffling on her towel until I pointed out how filthy it was getting. Undeterred, she didn't want to put on those shoes! She finally made it to a cool patch of grass in the shade in front of the Pritzker Pavilion.
I'm not sure how I missed a picture with Brent who brought icy cold drinks straight from his office! We enjoyed a great picnic and then headed over for photos.
I know the Bean is kind of a tourist trap, but it really is a fun place to get creative with photos!
Brigitta always goes for the big jump and ends up flailing. So like her!
Sydney almost jumped clear out of the frame!
We decided to try some hair toss photos while we were at it.
With her new haircut, Sydney doesn't have too much hair to toss but I think she does it with style nonetheless.
Ireland was getting a bit nauseous under the Bean and I can't blame her. I always feel dizzy with all the reflections. She headed back to hang out with Brent while I the rest of the girls wanted some more pictures. I can't deny them that! This little corner give such a lovely glow while still being shady.
Liesel had just a couple more she wanted to try on for size and I think they turned out really well!
We wrapped things up at Crown Fountain so the girls could cool off once more.
Since it's not our first time at the rodeo, Brent and I scored seats on the west side, in the shade. While the girls played, we struck up a conversation with an elderly couple next to us who were visiting from out of state. It was a nice reminder that someday, waaaay in the future, we might be empty-nesters watching young families while on vacation.
Seriously, I'm kicking myself for not having any photos with Brent! He misses out on so much over the summer as he slaves away at the office, I can't believe I didn't make sure to get him in some of the photos! Well, you'll just have to believe that he was there, saying goodbye to summer right along with us. We dropped him off at the office, happy to have him be a small part of our day.
No comments:
Post a Comment