Meet the Teacher isn't until the afternoon but the girls are so wired to check out their new classrooms and see old friends it's hard to keep them calm. We make a day of it by laying out outfits for the first days of school and then having a spa day with face masks, a bath (with bath bomb), and mani-pedis.
I was pretty on the ball this year. All of Ireland's medication and dr's forms had been turned in early. Sydney's medical and vision forms were likewise already taken care of. Even so, Meet the Teacher is so short and I have four classrooms to hit. I cringed when I asked Ireland if she could go to her classroom by herself first and then I would join her as soon as I could. Oh the blessed relief when Ireland heartily agreed, happy to take on the responsibility. Liesel helped me with Sydney- the kindergartners always have more complicated instructions- I think it's just to keep nervous parents busy. With everyone stepping up, we made it through in that narrow 1-hour time range!
Can I just take a moment to laud our school district? Now we really don't love paying the mammoth property taxes but I have to give them credit, we definitely see where our money goes- the schools! We received notification that some of the school supplies were being covered by the district. Brent and I looked at each other in disbelief when we added up the back-to-school expenses. We saved so much money!
Here are some of the seating options in Brigitta's classroom:
The table with balance ball chairs.
The table with these cool wobble chairs.
The standing desk with disks you can balance on if you'd like.
Then there's this quiet spot with a soft stool. I was so shy as a kid, this sweet little desk would have been my JAM!
There's similar classrooms like this at the middle school too. Some of the classrooms actually look nicer than corporate conference rooms! Then there are the 3-D printers and the newly renovated kitchens for Home Ec. I spent a fair amount of time plotting out how to make Liesel's locker look nice because surely it was this smelly, practically rusty, old thing that we all had to use, right?
Wrong. They're beautifully clean and new!
Someone even thought to install the tile that looks like hardwood, so the whole school has a much more welcoming and homey feeling.
We may have to tolerate corruption in our government, bad Midwest weather and ridiculously high taxes, but the public schools are rather impressive. I'm glad my kids are getting their education in these parts!
Usually we celebrate surviving Meet the Teacher at our favorite fro-yo place but it closed down! Both locations!!! We opted for Coldstone instead and well, I don't mind that change one bit.
The girls didn't seem to either.
No comments:
Post a Comment