This year's annual checkup was more difficult than any previous year. Not the actual checkup itself- that went like clockwork- but everything else associated with staying at my parent's home and taking them to their appointments as well. We got through it, but Ireland and I agreed we will never stay there again and never again try to tie in their appointments with her. Ireland was sweet and stalwart and worked her little tail off. We tried our best to have fun in spite of everything.
There's just something about these good people in Iowa! Ireland was mortified when I walked up to the pharmacy and said, "Can you guys hook me up with some drugs?" We ended up chatting with the pharmacists and I noticed his mug which made me laugh.
At another appointment I noticed the IOWA stickers on the keyboard and when the receptionist heard me commenting on them to Ireland, she gave us our own, which was really sweet.
We went for lunch at St Burch Tavern. It's a great spot for people watching and their lobster mac n cheese is phenomenal.
Ireland helped my dad make dinner and didn't complain once. She also helped my mom while I ran my dad to a whole slew of appointments. When we could, we did some shopping at our favorite stores and had a bit of fun.
We really did try to make positive memories, as much as we could. Ireland is such a champ and even though it was tough, I was so glad to have her with me.
It's really discouraging to see the ways my parents have chosen to spend their sunset years. Ireland and I had many a deep discussion about it- especially how I never want to put my children in this position. Every night we watched Golden Girls just for a bit of fun and a friendly reminder that not everyone makes the choices my parents have.
Ireland and I both breathed a huge sigh of relief when we hit I-80 heading home. As difficult a trip as it was, we now have a much better vision of where we are headed for the immediate and distant future!
No comments:
Post a Comment