I sent Ireland to preschool with this photo and one of the teachers out and out told me she was completely jealous.
Brigitta loved the Harry Potter specs.
Even Sydney seemed to enjoy the experience!
I completely geeked out over the shop where we purchased the photos.
Especially the wall full of wands. I could have dropped a wad of money on the stuff in that shop but I could only take what would fit in our backpacks. I had other shopping I wanted to do, so I just stuck to the photos.
We stopped for lunch at another pub and had fish and chips. Just a couple of doors down was a shop that sold authentic Irish linens and I nabbed handkerchiefs for the family. I will forever be grateful to the kind shopkeeper who insisted I let Brigitta and Ireland run around and explore the shop.
I had also hoped to pick up a Pippa bag but couldn't find one I truly loved. My sweet so sweet husband agreed to let me buy one online. We'd hoped to do the London Eye but Liesel and Ireland were at each other's throats. Brigitta was having meltdown after meltdown. The London "hospitality" wasn't helping either. We decided to head back to the airport. During the train ride, Ireland entertained herself by spinning around one of the poles like a stripper in training. People gave us looks but to be quite frank, I didn't care about their good opinion anymore.
One thing we learned in our travels is that security varies from airport to airport and even from officer to officer. When we went through Heathrow en route to South Africa, we had a bottle but they just asked us to have one of the girls take a tug and we were good to go. Little Brigitta was mid-bottle when they demanded it from her for testing. I took all the kids and sat on a bench to the side while Brent waited to gather backpacks and get the bottle back.
Brigitta went into a full-scale meltdown without that bottle. She was absolutely screaming and straining in her stroller. The poor girl was exhausted from the little sleep she'd gotten on the flight and then a day of running around London which was cold and encountering people who were equally as cold. Her only comfort was that bottle and they'd taken it away from her. I tried to soothe her, promising we'd get the bottle back, and stroking her face and hair. Then my own exhaustion set in and I felt my cheeks grow hot and the tears spilled down my face.
"It's ok, it's ok, it's ok" I frantically begged Brigitta to calm down but she only screamed louder. Liesel and Ireland's bickering abruptly stopped and even Sydney was stunned into silence as the mother holding her lost it. And I mean I LOST IT!!! I can't remember the last time I have cried like that, but I have no doubt everyone was staring at us. When Brent realized what was going on, he raced to get me that bottle. While Brigitta finally settled as she polished it off, I tried to compose myself. One of the security guards approached me, "Are you ok, Love?" I lied and told him I was fine and he offered to get me some water. All I wanted was to not be there. Brent finally gathered everything and I numbly followed him through the airport. We didn't speak, and I walked with my head down so no one would see my face which was now red and puffy from crying.
Turns out, Brent had noticed a sign for a family room and thought it would be a good idea to decompress there. There was a play area and a tv with kiddie shows and lots of activities like coloring. We changed diapers and the little ones played while I didn't utter a word. I just wanted to either be back in South Africa or home already. Finally, it was time to board and we made our way to the gate.


1 comment:
I'm geeking out just looking at those pictures. They're SO cool! I'm glad you had some positive experiences in London.
Post a Comment