Monday, March 24, 2014

OR Tambo to Heathrow

After configuring and re-configuring luggage, getting everyone bathed and in clean pajamas, and taking one last, long look at the flat that had become our home, we headed to the airport. I wish I could say we were ready to go back to the States, but the truth is South Africa had somehow become a part of us. Natives of the country have a saying, "We are not born in Africa but Africa is born in us." By now, Africa had definitely been born in us. Going home was like leaving part of ourselves behind.

By now the girls were very aware international travel means standing in a lot of line. Once luggage was checked and our seats were sorted, we caught up with Dad who had parked the van and said our goodbyes. 


Mom and Dad fairly exhausted themselves hosting us and making sure our trip was nothing short of magical. It was so hard to say goodbye, but I left with a testimony that they are where they need to be. As difficult as life can be taking care of their house, it is WELL worth it! I'm happy and proud to support them as missionaries. They couldn't have been more generous and grateful to us. 


After lots of hugs and kisses, we had taken no more than a dozen steps toward security when everything hit Liesel and she burst into tears. "I'm going to miss those guys!" she sobbed. She sobbed and sobbed and sobbed. She sobbed right up to our gate and I wasn't going to hush her, because she was only expressing what I felt in my heart. People looked at her quizzically and then looked to me for an explanation. "She just said goodbye to her grandparents" I'd offer and they'd frownsmile at her with a big, "Ohhhhhh!" This would all send Liesel into another round of sobbing. 

Apparently it was no easier on my parent's end. I received the following email from my mother:

We started missing you...
  1. When we pulled out of the airport parking lot and no little voice said, "I want to sit in the front seat with Grandpa and a Grandma!"
  2. When we arrived at the parking garage of Duke's Court and Boningkosi peered into the van and said, "Where is your family?" When we told him we had just seen you off at the airport he said, "Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. Did they enjoy their time here?" and we assured him that you did. 
  3. When we arrived inside Duke's Court and nobody was excited to push the lift button; even Gita used to point and said, "Two!"
  4. When we walked to our flat and nobody was thrilled to get the the keys to open the gate and door. 
  5. When we opened the door and went inside to... nothing! That's when we missed you all the most!
However, we have our wonderful memories to keep us smiling. We haven't stopped talking about how much fun we had, and how impressed we were at how quickly you "got it," and understood what we love about all of this.


Our gate was changed and we were moved to one that had this sign over it. It was the perfect bookend to our journey.

You know it's going to be a rough plane ride when it begins with the airline attendants walking up and down the aisles with bug spray before takeoff. Granted, I never saw any bugs, but this was definitely not one of the shiny, new planes we were accustom to. Thankfully, the girls still each had their own screen with an array of movie options to keep them occupied. 


Everyone managed to sleep a bit (including me!) during this flight and we managed to make it to London in one piece.

No comments: