Monday, March 17, 2014

Swaziland- Summerfield Resort

The trip to Swaziland had been highly anticipated by the whole family. After a couple of days resting and adjusting to the time change, we piled into the van for the 4 hour drive. The flat vastness of South Africa started to give way to lush, beautiful mountains. 



Liesel discovered a copy of Diary of a Wimpy Kid had been left behind in the van. To my shock and amazement, she settled in and began reading. 

Ireland was again happy to sit up front with Grandpa. 

Nielsens are prone to exaggeration but I have to hand it to Mom and Dad, they almost didn't do Summerfield justice. This is the lane leading up to the resort:

A thatched-roof pavilion over part of the walkway. Did you see the chandelier hanging inside?

I have no idea what kind of tie this is, but I love it. This was the gentleman who handled our reservations.

The rooms were just stunning.

A view of the ceiling. The photo doesn't quite capture how high and grand it was. 

Brent and I looked at each other in disbelief. The only way I can describe Summerfield is to imagine the Tiki Room and Jungle Cruise at Disneyland... but real and better. I would have been uncomfortable bringing our motley crew to such an upscale place but the staff fell in love with the girls. Everyone was so kind and given the surroundings, I couldn't help but relax and slip into this fantasy world.

After settling into our rooms, we headed to the dining room and opted to eat outside as it seems only balmy temperatures are allowed at Summerfield. Just as we were perusing the menu, a perfect storm unleashed.

I mean, really unleashed.

That was it for the power. Our waitress led us into the main dining room which was now lit with gas lanterns It made the whole scene more impossibly beautiful. Dinner was fantastic. We all wished we could have somehow stayed outside to enjoy the fantastic downpour. Even a storm at Summerfield was enchanting.

No comments: