Sunday, February 07, 2010

Blue Devils

For our last date pre-baby Brent and I decided to go to a Duke game when they were in town playing Boston College. I've always admired Coach K and I love how the players are true student-athletes... in that order too. Brent who is a basketball fanatic was excited to go to a live game of a ranked team (that would be Duke, not BC) so we got the tickets and a last-minute babysitter. It was perfect. I was happy to be going out in public wearing sweats and one of Brent's t-shirts and fitting in with the crowd.

When we walked in to find out seats I looked down at the court and was shocked to see Coach K, RIGHT in front of me with his players. Technically our seats could be considered nose-bleeds but the arena is so small they still felt like good seats. BC's colors are gold and crimson so it felt like Duke was playing Gryffindor. I think I've been spoiled by BYU's cheeleaders and the Cougarettes because the BC cheerleaders and dance squad were a little underwhelming. If you took away the student sections on both ends of the court you might think there were actually more Duke fans there.

Duke was on top for the whole game at one point leading by 11 points but that closed in the final minutes of the game to just 2 and the last shot was an attempt to close the 3-point lead they had. BC missed the shot though. Oddly enough, Brent who gives a verbal thrashing to our tv at home during games only quietly whispered to me when he disagreed with a call. I was more vocal than he was! We had a great time at our first Duke game and were so happy we decided to get out together. Much as I love hanging out at home with the latest from our Netflix queue, it's good to shake things up every now and again.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

LETS GO DUKE! LETS GO DUKE!

Ahhh, the memories. Don't get too close to Coach K, your baby has great listening capacity, and while Coach K leads a class A team, and clean cut image, he can cuss like a sailor 'til the air is Duke Blue!

Glad you got out!