Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Swim Lessons

I loved those moments when Liesel happened to look over at me and give me a laugh and a frantic wave.
Along with regular dental check-ups and matching school photo outfits, my mother made sure all of us kids had swimming lessons growing up. We all became strong swimmers and I'm grateful for that part (among many others) of my upbringing. Of course I was determined to pass it on so I signed Liesel up for 4 sessions of swim lessons this summer.
Working on her kneeling dive. Not to brag, (but to brag... what kind of parent would I be otherwise?) but she's the only child in the group who can do it!
This actually isn't Liesel's first crack at swim lessons-- she took a parent/tot class the summer Whitney nannied for us. I braced myself for her to be less than thrilled to sharpen her water skills. I couldn't have been more wrong. She loves swimming, particularly swimming underwater. One morning I found her floating face down in the bathtub and just about went into labor. She popped her head up and cheerfully told me she was working on her "bobbing."
Liesel with her favorite teacher Miss Molly. Not once did Liesel complain about going to her lessons. Every morning she  jumped into the water with pure enthusiasm.
I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but Liesel actually learned to swim! On her front, on her back, underwater, with a noodle, with a kick board, and without. Liesel can swim about 1/3 of the pool length completely on her own before she needs a little help. She's done an amazing job and impressed every teacher she had. At one point or another, each of them asked me how old she was because she's ready to move up to the next level. Unfortunately, she won't be able to do that until next year. That's okay though, with the summer coming to a close it's time to hang up the swimsuits and pull out the leotards. As much fun as she's had, I think Liesel is missing gymnastics and will be happy for the change of pace.
Ireland sat on the side with me and perfected her tongue roll. I'm actually pretty proud of that because the ability to do it is genetic and Brent can't do it. That means SOME of my genes snuck their way in there! Next year will be your turn for swim lessons little girl! I PROMISE!!!

3 comments:

Sylvia-Louise said...

I always looked forward to swim lessons every summer because I wanted to be a good swimmer. And I always struggled. It wasn't until I got older that I realized my body is NOT buoyant and sinks. I am not a good swimmer.

Natalie

Annette said...

Oh I so totally agree with you about every child needs to learn to swim. I have met way to many ADULTS who can't swim. I say why? Want me to teach you? You are a great mom! Keep it up!

Laney said...

The diving picture of Liesel is too cute! And I love Ireland can roll her tongue. That last picture is so cute. It reminds me of how many times YOU have stuck your tongue out at me. :D