As I was staring down the barrel of summer, I wanted to knock out some projects before all my spare time was spoken for. At the top of the list was our closet. It's a decent closet, to be sure, but something about the layout made it difficult to truly organize. After watching one too many episodes of The Home Edit and realizing even celebrities have the same kind of closet system I do, I decided to rip the whole thing out. The first thing I did was paint it Benjamin Moore's Super White.
Before: Our closet door is almost always open. I didn't like that the first thing you could see were my shoes. Even though they are neatly lined up on shelves, they still look cluttered at a glance.
After: I shifted the clothing rods over a bit and where the shoes used to be there is now a mirror. It's much cleaner and happier looking! Someday I want to get that mirror hung on the wall- although it has a sticker that specifically states it is not meant to be hung on a wall (I'm such a rebel!)
Before: So much about this space just didn't make sense. My shoes were all over the closet on different shelves and I really wanted them all in one space. We never use the laundry basket because it makes more sense to put dirty laundry in the hamper by the washer and dryer. The back of the closet was mostly taken up by Brent's drawers but then a chunk of his side was just empty (you can see a bit of laundry basket peeking out by the door). It was fine, but it wasn't functioning well.
After: The #1 thing I wanted was all shoes in one section- both mine and Brent's. I was so excited about this part of it, I installed the shelves before the paint was dry on the baseboards and put in the shoes. The shelves were a BIG to-do: they had to be ordered and then cut and only Lowe's carries this closet system and I'm pretty sure the lumber guys are happy I'm done with this project because I kept ordering more... but I'm so happy with how this turned out! It. Just. Makes. Sense. All my flats are together, all my wedges are together, all my pumps, heels and boots are on their own shelf with their own little family and grabbing what I want is a breeze. I told Brent this makes me not want to buy shoes because clearly I have enough- so perhaps this is his favorite part of the closet too- haha! It's fun to look at and I have to smile when I see something out of place because I know one of the girls has been playing in them. Brent's shoes look fantastic as well. All the hassle of revamping this closet was worth just this section alone.
After: As I mentioned, my rods moved over a bit, giving each section just a bit more room for clothes. The shelf above our shoes has our temple bags and I love that they live there together- just waiting for us to take in a session! For now the girls scholastic/memory bins live above my clothes but one day those will move out when they do. For now it's nice to have them handy so we can add to them.
Before: When we moved here, Liesel didn't have a dresser and I wasn't using these drawers so for far too long, her folded clothes went here. There were more shelves (I was eager to start taking things apart) but they always looked sad and cluttered. The hats and bags on the side of the wall added to the cluttered feeling and I just hated it. Not to mention the front of the drawers often fell off and constantly needed to be tacked back together. I was so happy to just tear this whole thing out!
Next up was mulching. Last year when we dug out the pit for the in-ground trampoline, we scattered the dirt wherever it seemed low in the existing beds. Well, the deeper we dug, the lighter the color of the dirt looked. The the beds were more even in fill, but really uneven in color. They hadn't been properly mulched in a while so we gave it a PhD- piled it high and deep.
Before & After: I uncovered the fountain hoping that just seeing it again would somehow motivate me to figure out how to fix the darn thing. Plus it's really pretty. Oh and something about bushes covering up any tiny bit of window is offensive to me so I trimmed those halfway between the window and the ground. They looked pretty sparse there for a while! No worries, they grew in just fine.
Another view of the fountain area:
Before & After: To the right of the fire pit.
After: A view of both the fountain and fire pit areas looking freshly mulched!
Back inside, I really wanted to paint the hallway before the girls were out from school. The beige color always looked sickly to me and I wanted a clean, crisp white. It may not seem like that big of a change, but believe me, it suddenly looked not just cleaner but somehow like a nicer home.
Before & After: Standing at the top of the stairs looking down the hallway. Turns out that angled wall is a huge wall! We'd hung our family tree there but when we realized how much space there really was, we decided to hang the printing sheets of the Book of Mormon meant for the office. I'd had it framed and waiting and well, it wanted to live here instead. The family tree was relocated just down the hall outside Ireland and Gita's room. I love how the black, white and natural wood colors came together.
Before & After: Laundry hamper nook by the stairs. Believe me, I have plans to paint the foyer the same white color and finally be completely rid of the beige. I think I'm going to have to call in the professionals on that one- it's a two story height and over stairs- but it's on my list!
I'm always sad to set aside projects so I can focus on the girls for the summer, but going into this summer I'm so very happy with these last few I accomplished! While the mulching is an annual thing, the hallway and master closet have bothered me ever since we moved in. Those spaces finally feel like they are ours. Home sweet home!
No comments:
Post a Comment