The Idea Factory was most suited for the girl's ages and they had an absolute ball! We could have spent the entire time there. There's a "Water Spectacle" that covers the length of the room with a water mill, waterfalls, long rivers and floating balls and squares. At the very end there's a tube where kids can put in the balls and watch them get sucked up and zoomed back to the mill. Very cool. Everything was hands on and interactive which was perfect. The river of water was just at Ireland's height and she loved fishing objects out of it.

I'm determined to go back and do the U-505 (a captured German submarine) exhibit on my own. I was dying to read all the plaques and only got to stop briefly to see the authentic Nazi flag they found on board. There was a line to the simulator where you learn to dive and resurface a submarine. I had no idea it was compressed air that makes them rise. You can go in the submarine itself on a separate tour but of course strollers are not allowed and it's not encouraged for young children. Liesel was tugging on my hand and I think the little time we were there stretched both girl's patience but it was so cool, I couldn't help it! The story of how they got the submarine into the museum looked just as fascinating as how it was originally captured. Now I want to rent U-571 and Hunt for Red October.
Astronaut Liesel 
Ireland made a little friend at the Baby Chick Hatchery. She looked at the chick for a moment and then started squealing. Two newbies sharing their wonder at this crazy, exciting world.
Musical lights. Liesel got a lot of compliments on her outfit.
Science Storms was another exhibit where we could have spent our entire time. There was a huge vortex simulating a tornado. On a ginormous tilted plate they had sands illustrating the effects of an avalanche. That sounds lame but I promise, it was fascinating to watch. There was a wheel where you could increase or decrease the speed of the plate. Of course there was a pendulum... it seems like those are required at any science museum.
We all enjoyed Fast Forward: Inventing the Future.To get in, you had to pass through a curtain of dry ice mist. They had a coffee table that created different kinds of music depending on what object you put on it. We saw a Lady GaGa-esque dress made with lights that was actually really beautiful. My poor photography doesn't do it justice. The time was running out on our parking so we had to leave a bit abruptly and didn't get to see everything- even after 3 hours! We are definitely, definitely coming back!
1 comment:
I love, Love, LOVE the Science and Industry museum in Chicago! I could literally spend days upon days in there. When Joey and I dated, Thursdays were free at all the museums and Shedd. So we would road trip there with a dizen bagels from Brueggers and spend hours there. You definitely need to go back with Brent and get a sitter for the girls. It's fabulous.
Post a Comment