We got in line early for the dolphin show and one of the workers warned us it's called the "aquatic show" and there is no guarantee we'd get the dolphins. Turned out we got the beluga whales. It was okay, but not as thrilling as the dolphins. As the show started, they lowered the shades and had this projected onto the screen. It's really cool.
Before the show we could stand at the rail and watch the beluga whales swim around. Ireland was fascinated with them and it was so cute to see her point her chubby little finger at the water. With the shades up, the view went all the way across Lake Michigan making the water look seamless. It was gorgeous!
Believe it or not, I had a profound parenting moment during the show. The announcer talked about how the trainers use nothing but positive reinforcement with the animals. After every trick there was a fish or a massage or playful splash of water for the beluga whales. It led me to think about how I'm doing with raising my two girls. I try to use positive reinforcement, I really do. Every time I post a video of the girls I'm a little embarrassed at how enthusiastic I sound for the tiniest accomplishment. All my "GOOD JOB SWEETIE!!!" comments sound so corny on camera but I can't help myself. I really am so very proud of my girls.
However, I have my days. You know, the days when I'm ready to scream and I feel like Joan Crawford makes a better mother than I do. Do the trainers ever get to have a day like that? Do they ever send Flipper to time out? Does Flipper ever crap in the tank when he knows he's supposed to use a bucket? Isn't there some trainer out there up to their elbows in beluga whale crap thinking it's just a little too much to handle? Aren't there days when Flipper manhandles her little sister for the umpteenth time and a trainer has to pull her off and scold her? Is it possible to use nothing but 100% POSITIVE reinforcement? Isn't the negative occasionally necessary?
I guess we'll have to make another trip to Shedd to find out for sure :)

I was beyond thrilled to find the bookstore just outside the jellyfish exhibit carried this book. I've been jonesing for it ever since I saw it on Design Mom. Liesel loves it too. The big lettering and bold graphics are just fabulous.
1 comment:
Awwww, sure do miss the ole SHEDD! I especially loved their gift shop. ALWAYS found something I wanted there! All these posts are making me want to take a trip out there REAL BAD.
Post a Comment