Sunday, June 26, 2011

Girlfriends

I once read an article about how our selection of friends changes over time. As kids, we look for others who are very similar to ourselves. They dress the same and have the same interests. It's only with age and maturity that we begin to see the value in having friends who are different. Luckily for me, my mission gave me the opportunity to become friends with people that perhaps I wouldn't have sought out myself.


Me and Hermana Collette in front of the Christus at the Mesa, AZ Temple Visitor's Center.
The stresses of a mission (and OUR mission in particular) led me to be very emotionally raw with these ladies. They have seen the best of me, the worst of me, and lots of in between. Somehow, they all still completely and wholly accept me for who I am, flaws and all. Whenever I see them, I don't care if I've gained weight, or if I'm having a bad hair day, and we pick up where we left off. Chatting with them is like the best kind of therapy.


Me and Hermana McBride with her little boy Carter. I knew my time in AZ would be pretty tight with the wedding in Sedona but I'm SO happy I was able to drop in on these ladies! Of course, I wish I'd had more time with them but I always feel that way. They are amazing women and I'm profoundly grateful they are a part of my life.


Me and Hermana Payne just minutes before I headed to the airport.

1 comment:

Laney said...

Seeing both Marsha and Autumn was so cathartic...even for how brief the visits were. It's the first time nothing negative from the mission bubbled up. Time does heal things. Too bad we can't all get together and have lunch!