Friday, June 10, 2011

Legoland Discovery Center Chicago

Admittedly I don't know much about Legoland places so I didn't know what to expect when I took the girls. I should have known when my credit card was declined that I needed to just walk away. Instead I stubbornly called the customer service line and found it was declined because the tickets were being billed out of the UK. Makes sense since Lego's originate from Europe. The first display of downtown Chicago was kind of cool. Not exactly interactive, but the girls didn't seem to mind just looking.

Water Tower Place among other Chicago buildings.
Then we did the jungle room which again wasn't all that interactive. We tried the "ride" which was more like being driven by an 80-year old in a Pinto. It was as if someone went back to Europe and tried to tell someone about Disney's "It's a Small World" ride and left out 2/3 of the details and the rest was pretty much lost in translation. The 3-D movie was enough to give Liesel a thrill but I was starting to drool from boredom.

Indiana Jones
It only got worse. Apparently Lego's' main fan base is boisterous, energetic, little boys. I don't think they mean to be rude, but they definitely aren't looking for their delicate, female counterparts. The play land was a madhouse. Liesel wanted me to hold her hand for just about everything and Ireland wanted to take off on her own and explore. Keeping them both in line was exhausting. There were pits of big Lego's for the little kids to play with and a girl was dipping her bare feet in them.

Liesel in the lion's mouth.
The only fun part of the day was when I accidentally walked into the men's room and greatly surprised a man using the urinal. I think he peed on himself which made my embarrassment totally worth it. Other than that, I think they should rename this place Lame-O-Land! Not worth the time or the money.

1 comment:

Beth and Mark said...

My boys would have loved this. The Lego Indiana Jones would have paid for the trip. We have even been to Legoland in San Diego and I think the boys like it better than Disneyland. The lines aren't nearly as long.