Saturday, April 04, 2009

Baby Steps

For months now Liesel has been on the verge of walking. She'd creep alongside the couch, cupboards, and just about anything else at her height. She could walk from one end of our apartment to the other, just holding on to fingers. In the kitchen she loved holding on to the chair while scooting it across the floor. I was visiting with a friend while she scuttled around and I held her lightly by the elbow when she hurriedly took a few steps. She almost did it alone... almost! We could tell she was seriously contemplating becoming fully mobile.

It's almost like something clicked with Liesel's first birthday. One day after the blessed event we were at the Sorenson's. I was playing Blockus while Brent hung out with their kids. He showed them some of her finer "tricks" when Liesel started free standing. The Sorenson's were so enchanted with her and I think that was the motivating factor. With a captive audience, she suddenly took that first step. Then she did it again, and again. Now she's taking two and three at a time. There's no stopping her now! I'm so grateful Brent thought to pack the camera so we could catch some video.

I love how she throws her hands in the air and yells. Clearly she knows she's doing something monumental. Her triumphant screams are absolutely priceless. We can't help but laugh every time we watch this and since yesterday night that's been about a dozen times. I'm so PROUD of her!!!

3 comments:

Katrina said...

Watch out! Next thing you know she'll be climbing up bookcases to get at the sharpies you put up high...

russia boy said...

And then, she will be just be gone! We enjoyed a few days of first steps and then, BAM, she was just gone - 100 MPH - away from us. The days of just stay here and play and so over...:)

Reggs said...

I just HAD to come back and watch this video again. I love her yells. This little girl already has such gusto for life.