Sunday, February 19, 2012

Reverence Child

Last Sunday Liesel came home from Primary with a piece of paper taped around her wrist. It was a note from the Primary President letting us know Liesel was to be a "Reverence Child" in Sacrament meeting the following Sunday. Her job would be pretty simple: arrive 10 min early, stand to one side of the podium with her arms folded, and be an example for other children as families came into the chapel.

All week we reminded her about her impending duty and this morning we practiced a bit. Miraculously we got to church 10 min early with everyone looking sharp. I held Liesel's hand as I led her to her spot, explained that the Bishop would tell her when she could leave, and then we all sat down on the front row, directly in front of her.

Perhaps it was the cold she's had all weekend. Perhaps it was a bit of stage fright. Perhaps she simply became overwhelmed. Whatever the reason, her face crumbled and within seconds our Reverence Child had tears streaming down her face. There was a low "awwwwe" from the congregation (who were WAY more attentive than I thought they'd be, given the meeting hadn't started yet). I tried to talk to her and encourage her but to no avail. Just when I was about to lead her off the podium, Brent knelt by her side and folded his arms.

Liesel immediately calmed. Upon seeing her sister, Ireland solemnly folded her arms and quietly sat in my lap. Today was our Ward Conference so the entire Stake Presidency was on the stand. One of the counselors, President Nelson, swiftly jumped off of his seat and knelt to the other side of Liesel. He whispered to her that he understood how hard it was to be a Reverence Child.

I'll never forget that image of two men in suits and ties, on their knees, flanking my little 3-year-old in her dress and bows. No irony, no joking, just quietly folding their arms along with her, being an example of reverence. I hope that throughout her life she'll always have examples of righteous men to guide her and calm her. I'm grateful for the ones she has now.

3 comments:

Faye said...

This is a very touching story and I am glad that you shared it. It shows great character of those men.

The Wuehler Wireless said...

That is the sweetest thing. It is amazing how such a simple act can make such an impact on a child....and a mother.

Reggs said...

AWWWWWEEEEEE!!!