Saturday, September 15, 2012

Indian Summer

I can't help but feel the girls were cheated out of their summer. Sure Ireland loved gymnastics while Liesel enjoyed swimming and math camp. We made it downtown a handful of times to go to the MOSI or meet Brent for lunch. There were playdates and birthday parties here and there. But other than that, it was a lot of sitting around the apartment with a hugely pregnant mom and the air conditioner on full blast.

Love this shot. She was actually annoyed with me asking her
to smile at the camera. This is Liesel obliging me.
HOW do they crouch down like that?
When I noticed the weather was going to be 78, sunny, and slightly breezy, I made my case for a family trip to the beach. With Brigitta still so little, Brent was hesitant. When I mentioned I'd be willing to take Liesel and Ireland on my own, he lit up. I wasn't sure which football games were on, but I was confident Brent wouldn't be missing us much as he cheerfully hosed the girls down with SPF, slid them into their swimsuits, and ushered us out the door. 
Look at those curls! When did her hair get so long???

Ever creative, Liesel made a sand angel!
Just as I had hoped, the beach was practically empty. There were a few families and some leathery college age girls soaking up the last drops of vitamin D. Liesel and Ireland are such beach veterans! They didn't hesitate when we picked a spot and I began laying out the towels. Ireland immediately went to dip her toes in the water while Liesel started digging in the sand. Per usual, neither wanted to leave even though we'd been there for hours and still hadn't had lunch. Eventually we said goodbye to the beach. 

I took the girls for a late lunch at the downtown McDonald's that was revamped for their 50th anniversary (corporate headquarters are out here in suburban Oak Brook). Guide books said they had displays of past happy meal toys and the decor was really cool. They also have an upstairs cafe which serves cheesecake, muffins and other goodies. All in all, I would have to say it's still a McDonald's and not really worth the trip. However, after playing in the sun we ferociously feasted on our food.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Looks like a blast. The beach is always worth it! And if there is a play land at the "Greasy Ron's" it offers some respite for moms who used all their energy to get kids, diapered, fed, strapped in and two shoes on.