Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Change

After vowing to never separate the family again, Brent and I have decided to separate the family again. My parents need someone to look after the house while they're on their mission in South Africa and we heartily agreed to make it work. In one month, I'll be moving with the girls to Iowa City and Brent will be moving into a small bachelor pad out here. He's been approved for a 4-day work week and will again take advantage of the bus that runs from downtown Chicago to downtown Iowa City.

Yes, it will be hard. I'll have to step up as a parent and practice more patience. The girls will miss their daddy not to mention their grandparents. Brent's going to put in some seriously long hours at work so he can be with us every weekend. We're planning to live as cheaply as possible over the next two years so we can save for a down payment on a home. Luckily, everything in Iowa City (from gas to gymnastics classes) is much cheaper than here in the suburbs of Chicago. I'm fortunate to have an amazing support system between the familiar faces of my hometown and my old ward. And of course, we have faith that the Lord will support us as we support missionary efforts around the world.

Not that life will be completely dreary over the next two years. Preschool in Iowa City is every day for a full 3 hours and it's completely FREE!!! We know all the fun places to go and all the fabulous places to eat. I'm excited for my girls to experience a bit of what I had when I grew up. Brent will be able to work on projects he's shelved with young children around. Somewhere in there is a trip to Johannesburg, South Africa for sure... with perhaps a layover in London? Stay tuned for that one :)

2 comments:

Steve said...

That puts you at a little over 5 hours away from KC. I think we need to start planning a get-together... :)

Autumn said...

I wish your family luck with your new change. Even though we live together James works a LOT and his schedule is CRAZY so Carter and I are home alone a lot. It's not fun but it can be done! And if anyone can do it you can, you are just that strong of a person!