Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Happy Halloween!

This may be the last year we have a princess year for Halloween. Liesel was rather uninterested in getting a new costume. Ireland was campaigning hard-core for Mulan since the live-action movie is coming out soon and the costume was really beautiful. I reminded her there are lots of princesses and she could be Princess Leia or Princess Buttercup who aren't a product of Disney. Even so, Liesel was less than thrilled. Eventually she went with classic Cinderella but I think this is the end of the line for her. 

 The ward Trunk-orTreat was particularly fantastic this year! The exact same elements were at play: games, parade, chili cook-off and the actual trunk-or-treating, but it was an hour earlier than usual and they stuck to the schedule. The whole thing was completely wrapped up (and I mean even the tables and chairs were put away) by 7 PM which is AMAZING!!! The kids went to bed right on time which was such a blessing since our Primary Program was the next morning.

I pulled out my Hester Prynn costume while Brent happily wore his outfit from our White Trash Progressive Dinner. We were colonial era and modern versions of white trash. A few people whispered, "Shame, shame" at me and it made me laugh.

 They always do such an incredible job with the photo background! Brigitta was excited to finally get her crack at the Elsa costume. The shoulders and sleeves are made of really thin material and I'm happy to say that costume will make it through all four girls! I was sure it would snag or wear a hole but they've all been really careful. 

I've always thought the Rapunzel costume was kind of cursed because whoever wore it had some kind of a meltdown in the middle of Halloween festivities. Every. Single. Girl. But Sydney managed to make it through with nary a tear!

 Love these little ones! Ireland stayed home due to some big-time sassing and ended up loving an evening of watching a movie on our bed. Liesel ran off with friends the second we arrived at the church so Brent and I hung out with the little girls. 

Sydney's classroom party was up next. The kids showed off their costumes and the teachers always pretend they don't know them. When Mrs. O'Malley said, "But wait, is this really Rapunzel? Who is this?" Sydney pulled off her braided crown and said, "It's MEEE!!!" It was so adorable. 

FYI- that Fly, Fly Witchy song is an earworm. Which stays for days.



We had lovely weather for the parade at the elementary school. Ireland was living it up as Belle and she gave me a sweet spin. 

Liesel's reticence about a costume led me to believe she's just getting too old for Halloween in general but she lit up when she saw me in the parade. Phew!

Even though they had their official party the day before, Sydney's preschool said they could come in their costumes again on the day of Halloween. I asked her if she wanted to be Rapunzel again or if she wanted to try the angel costume and she was beyond thrilled to have an excuse to wear shimmery wings.

Her hair is still baby fine so I had to get creative when making it into a halo.

I know this costume is really on its last legs, but I love it so much!

Brent came home from work early so I could take the girls and some of their friends Trick-or-Treating. They really did me proud this year. Liesel actually brought an extra bag this year to hold all of her spoils.


Brigitta even hung in with us to the very end which means she got to hit the full-sized candy bar houses. Because they were the last trick-or-treaters of the night, they were given two or three candy bars at those final houses.


Logically I know it's dumb, but I feel like this is where we recoup the cost of costumes. There are few life scenarios where there is such instant gratification for hard work. It always makes me smile seeing them run from house to house.

Our neighbor does a "Switch Witch" who leaves the kids a present in exchange for the candy. She asked me what we do with all of ours and I had a hard time admitting it gets eaten over the next month or so. We slip some in the girls' lunches, we save some for movie nights, we leave some out for guests to snack on... and Brent and I reap our annual parent tax. After Trick-or-Treating was done, we made the girls eat some chili and cornbread Brent had made while we were out and then they could pick a piece or two for dessert. 


This year I tried something new- a glow stick bath. Everyone had makeup and all kinds of hair products on, not to mention they were pretty hyped up from the evening. While I scrubbed Halloween off of them, they calmed down and were much more ready to settle in to bed. That one is becoming a tradition- for SURE!

No comments: