Saturday, November 24, 2018

Chicago Symphony Orchestra

The idea for going to the CSO at the movies actually came from my friend Janeal. Knowing I'd have lots of family in town, I made the offer to everyone else. While Mom and Dad intended to come, they were concerned about driving back to Iowa City in bad weather so they gave their tickets to Reagan who brought along Piper. It was such a fun group!

We had dinner at Ditka's in what has almost become our booth because we always get seated there. 

There's just nothing in the world like those pot roast nachos!

We cut it really close so I dropped everyone off at the Symphony Center and hunted for parking. I get really stubborn about parking in cities because I believe you CAN find parking if you are just determined enough (except DC- there really is no parking in DC)! I happened upon a spot just a few blocks away and then I sprinted back to the Symphony Center and took my seat just before the performance began.

Of all cool things we've done in Chicago, this definitely tops the list. I experienced The Empire Strikes Back with new eyes as I saw the sharp movements of the strings when Darth Vader was near. I saw the fluid movements when they played Leia's Theme. I heard the drums so much more powerfully than I did sitting in a theater as a kid watching it for the first time. Hearing a live orchestra just made it all so magical.


I'm so grateful Liesel was there with me. Reagan and Whitney both play the violin so of course they loved it and Piper had a blast. It really was such a cool thing to do on Thanksgiving weekend- I'd love to make it a tradition! 

From the opening fanfare right up until the last roll of the credits, this was SO cool!!!

No comments: