Sunday, December 23, 2018

Holiday Happenings

This was the first year I decided that no matter how much I prepare, the holidays are simply going to have a certain amount of stress built into them. In years past, I would quietly chide myself for not being more on the ball- even those years when I had all the presents purchased and wrapped before Thanksgiving, for crying out loud! Oddly enough, that admission of the inherent frenzied activity made it less stressful, at least in my mind. Whenever I felt overwhelmed, I told myself it's an inevitability, and to just do my best. Cut, print, moving on. So here's a snapshot of some things we managed to fit in over the holidays:

Weather never seems to be on our side for the Festival of Lights Parade! But three of the four girls were in it and my sweet niece kept me company. We hid out in the nearby Starbucks for most of it, but caught some photos of the girls as they went by. 

First Ireland with her Brownie troop:

Then Liesel with her Junior Troop:

Then Brent and Sydney with her preschool float:

Brigitta was happier than a pig at slop to stay home with the Aunts and Uncle Tim playing video games. As if they weren't already cherished by the girls, Whitney and Tim brought their Xbox and set it up for them to play to their heart's content over Thanksgiving.

Uncle Craig and Aunt Suzanne sent each of the girls their very own Starbucks gift card, so one chilly day we stopped in for some hot chocolate and a treat. We've done Starbucks before, but it was fun to watch them budget their money so carefully.


Reagan took the photo for our Christmas card and I'm so, so, SO happy with the result! I tried half a dozen different templates and when I found this one that perfectly encircles the RSOXNTN on the license plate, I knew it was the one. We had so much fun cheering our Red Sox on through the World Series this year! Usually I send a newsy letter along with our card but I've noticed fewer and fewer people are doing that these days. I've always been worried people open our card, see the letter and think, "Great, this one comes with homework!" After agonizing for a few days, I decided to just send the card and ya know what? No one seemed to miss the letter.

Sydney was a trooper helping me to mail all those cards at the post office! As I stamped them, she'd take a little pile and put them in the mail slot. Pretty soon everyone else was asking her to put their mail in the slot. It's a little thing, but she really loved it. Here we are waiting in line to mail our cards headed overseas along with a little package.
Brent feels strongly that Sydney is a bit spoiled- she gets the computer to herself and snacks all morning long rather than eating a proper breakfast. The truth is that Sydney gets dragged along to a lot of my errands like this and she's such a good sport about it. I'll miss having her along next year when she's in school full-time.

We had another great visit with Santa! Liesel hinted that she's getting too old for this, but she graciously smiled for the photo along with her sisters.

Brigitta was particularly excited to get her time with St. Nick:

I love this photo! She's so genuinely happy.

Ireland was doing double duty that day- her troop was bell ringing just outside the Santa House so she needed to get back.

For some reason Ireland is really averse to looking straight at the camera. I'm glad we caught this one:

Oh Sydney! Always so excited to see Santa!

And finally Liesel. Hmmm, maybe next year she can just sit on the floor in front of Santa? She really is getting to be too big to be on his knee...
...not too big to think of things to ask him for Christmas!

We had something called a "freezing fog" which created the most incredible winter wonderland in these parts. Throughout the night, the moisture on the trees froze over and over and the result was just stunning.

Of course, the pictures just don't do it justice.

As the sun burned off the last of the fog, there were only a couple of hours to enjoy this before it melted.

So pretty!

One day, I found myself with a little bit of time and no agenda so I ran over to Panera for a quiet lunch. The hot chocolate was just too good to pass up on that chilly day and when asked if I wanted it in a mug or a to go cup I said mug, "Make it look like something from the coffee house in Friends." This is what I was given and I kid you not, people still waiting in line gasped.
Yummy!

One day the girls were driving me bat crap crazy with the bickering, complaining, whining and general grumpiness. I made them all sit down at the kitchen table with a blank sheet of paper and told them they weren't allowed to get up until they'd written 20 things they were grateful for. Liesel took it to the next level and created this:
Which reminded me to be grateful for my children who are so creative.

Pajama run for ice cream! Unlike the first year when we scared them to death screaming, "Pajama run for ice cream! Pajama run for ice cream!", they are getting wise to us. When we sent them to bed early on a Friday night (sans the traditional movie night), they suspected something was up.

Some holiday happenings will have to be reserved for their own post, but these are a few of the things we fit in amidst all the hoopla!

No comments: