First of all, in my humble opinion, curly hair photographs better on little kids than straight hair. A stray lock of curly hair looks charming but a stray lock of straight hair looks stringy. So I curled Brigitta's hair but good. I spent over an hour on it and I put so much hairspray in it I was sure she'd burst into flame if she got anywhere near a fire. She was choking on hairspray and tired of being fussed over but I persevered.
Turns out the spot where these photos were taken was a bit of a hike. As it is the middle of a Midwest summer, it was hot and so so SO humid! The further we walked, the more her bouncy curls melted.
Secondly, our photographer has used this location many, many times. However, she seemed a bit unfamiliar with it in the dead of summer. The weeds were high and to get to this specific spot we had to kind of hike around a bit.
Thirdly, Brigitta is a sweet girl with sweet blood and deep in those woods, the mosquitos descended on her with a fury. I thought I'd prepared everything- I brought a Book of Mormon, a CTR ring, her blessing dress and somehow it didn't occur to me to bring bug repellant. Our photographer mentioned she had some in her car, but that was a long hike back. So we decided to muscle through. At one point I spotted half a dozen mosquitos munching away on her. Some of them got caught in the tulle skirt and I'm so relieved you can't see that in the photos.
Fourthly, this was a solid month before her birthday and we met at noon so it was hot as blazes.
Fifthly, our photographer was really great but there were a couple of shots where she didn't quite know what I was going for. She'd never done a picture with the blessing dress and as I explained it to her, Brigitta's misery was complete. Hot, hairsprayed, covered in mosquito bites and waiting for adults to finish talking.
She did perk up a bit when I grabbed her crown though! I forgot about it for those first few photos.
This one is one of my favorites because she really looks like a little princess in a fairy tale.
Here's the picture with two white dresses. The photographer ended up loving the idea so much she did it with her own daughter's baptism photos the very next day.
This is a pretty photo on the surface, but I can see Gita's curls straightening and her face says she is just done with the whole thing. By the time we got back to the car, her hair was stick straight again.
Luckily her birthday breakfast was in an air conditioned home, on a soft bed, with no mosquitos.
A little lettuce always adds a nice touch too.












No comments:
Post a Comment