Due to coronavirus, Mom and Dad decided to play it safe and sit it out this year. Tim's sister and her family were supposed to come as well and they ended up cancelling. Since we were hosting just Whitney and Tim, Brent and I had a frank discussion about what we really wanted for Thanksgiving dinner, and not just what was tradition. Turns out we all love the side dishes and aren't crazy about the turkey itself! We cancelled one of the 2 turkey orders and focused on the stuffing, mashed potatoes, homemade applesauce and desserts. It was delicious!
We also had a couple of helium tanks with just a little bit left and so Tim obliged by helping us to (ahem) empty them so they could be discarded.
The girls had a lot of fun with that.
Even Brent got in on the action.
I could talk all day about how much the girls adore their Uncle Tim and Aunt Whitney but I think this picture gives you a pretty good idea. We love having them visit and of course Dakota as well.
Honestly, I think Tim and Whitney partially came just so they could jump on the trampoline. I have to laugh seeing Dakota there on the side because she did try it, and immediately crouched down, I'm sure trying to figure out why everyone was on this crazy thing was going through her mind because she would quickly scramble off and then try it again only to crouch down and scramble off again. Tim and Whitney had so much fun and of course the girls loved being bounced by them and playing Crack the Egg.
I decided to try a ginger and eggnog trifle which was pretty good but ended up having a touch too much ginger in it. At least it looked pretty!
Gita's Danish ancestors would be proud to see her eating the leftover rudkal (red cabbage) for breakfast the next day!
Leading up to Thanksgiving, I have to say President Nelson's prayer on our behalf absolutely put me to tears. It's been a hard year and his gentle pleadings were just what I needed to hear. I loved his gratitude challenge and decided to take it up like so many others.
One of the things I'm so grateful for is the lamppost out front. Doug fixed it when he was visiting for Brigitta's baptism. Something that was looking sad and old suddenly sparked to life. Our home is one of the brightest in our neighborhood now and that lamppost makes it look so charming and inviting. I can't wait to see how it will look when the ground is covered in snow!
I hope that when this pandemic is over, we can light up again. In the meantime, I'm so grateful for all we
do have!
No comments:
Post a Comment