Sunday, March 28, 2021

Jupiter


I can't remember why I went down the Jupiter rabbit hole. Not that it's an unusual thing for me to become obsessed with unusual topics. When I can't sleep I find myself vigorously researching Viking long boats, Marilyn Monroe, or Venice. Sometimes I can't get my brain to quiet down. 

Anyway, I read that the Great Red Spot might just disappear in our lifetime. That massive storm that has raged on for centuries is actually shrinking in size. Sydney and I watched a video of what it would be like if you could fall through Jupiter's atmosphere. Spoiler alert- you'd die before you get there and you'd die in the process and you'd never stop falling because it's a gas giant and there's no land but hey, it's fun to imagine. 

What impressed me the most was the sheer size of Jupiter. Apparently it's so massive, and it's gravitational pull is so great (79 moons and counting!) that it does our little, delicate planet Earth a great service. Jupiter absorbs much of the asteroids that might otherwise end up colliding with Earth. 

That fact stuck with me and in the early morning hours I found myself mulling it over and over. I immediately thought of the Atonement. In a similar way, Christ's sacrifice absorbed the consequences for sin and death. He made it possible for us to repent and live again. The sheer size of his love for us protects us so we can learn and grow, but also return to Heavenly Father. 

I can't quite explain why, but I'm going to be sad if the Great Red Spot disappears. It's such a visual reminder of the violent storms that ravage this planet and yet it's so beautiful too. Long live the Great Red Spot!

No comments: