Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Aunt Beck

It has been ages since I've seen Aunt Beck- I think I was in college actually. And while I have many aunts, she is the only who who I refer to as "Aunt" pronounced like haunt rather than like ant. It just fits her better. Brent's brother happened to be visiting and we were hosting my parents as well so we had a very full house and I fully admit I was grumpy about it. 

Her flight arrived a bit early so she had to wait for me at O'Hare and as soon as she jumped in the car she gave me the warmest hug and we immediately began chatting. When she went on a tangent she quietly said, "Fork" and when she went back to the main point said, "Plate." Intrigued, I asked her what that meant and she said her daughter Leslie (my cousin) said she talks as if she is setting a table for dinner with the plate being the main subject, but then there are forks, knives, spoons, etc. "Back to the plate" became a theme of our time together as we had many wonderful discussions.

She was incredibly kind and loving to the girls who embraced her immediately. As a teacher, she was immediately curious about what they are doing in school and listened intently to what they had to say. On Sunday afternoon she helped lay out their clothes for the week and seemed endlessly entertained at the discussion surrounding that endeavor. 

I vastly underestimated how big some holes in my life are and how much I actually needed this visit. Aunt Beck sounds similar to my own mother as well as my grandmother. She knows so much about my grandparents and great grandparents and gives detailed and honest first-hand accounts. My organization skills have sometimes been mocked in my family and I've been written off as too uptight by some. Aunt Beck was impressed with it, took pictures and complimented me endlessly on my closets, the systems I've put in place around the house and generally the way I run my life. 

Aunt Beck has a sharp wit and is ready to laugh. As I told her stories about raising my daughters she was such a joy to talk to, sharing her own stories in turn. When I grieved over something that isn't going right in my life, she brushed it off and told me not to worry so much. She gave me confidence that I have exactly what I need to move forward in this old life and I will be just fine.

In short, she was just lovely. The girls adored her and what at first I thought was an inconvenience ended up being therapeutic. Aunt Beck was a delight and we can't wait to see her again.


This is my favorite photo from her visit- she brought jacks to teach the girls how to play. The fact that my parent's generation will not always be around is solidifying itself into reality more and more. I love how Aunt Beck makes those connections with the past and the future. 

We all can't wait to see her again!

No comments: