We enjoyed our trip to Petoskey so much two years ago, we had to make a return trip. Petoskey is a resort town but not too overgrown and overpriced to ruin the charm of its location. We were able to get the same room we had last time with the two queen beds, pull out couch and bunk beds. The top bunk ended up being a source of contention for the girls (Gita was always maneuvering to have it to herself) but by and large it was nice to stay somewhere familiar. We unpacked and headed down to the waterfront just in time for golden hour.
The long shadows stretched as we meandered back to the car,
The ability to make fresh waffles at the Hampton Inn is a big reason why we stay there. The girls came down with their fuzzy hair and enjoyed a hearty breakfast. Sydney was particularly delighted about those Nutella packets. She not only had plenty of them for breakfast, she squirreled more away to snack on throughout the day.
Gita had been bugging everyone about jumping off the breakwall. Honestly, I thought that would wait a day- you have to time that kind of thing since you will be wet. Then we decided to just go for it since the parking was ideal. Brent and Sydney missed out on this right of passage last time and we insisted they come along this time. The water was lower, and colder making the jump a lot more intimidating. I jumped as quickly as I could- before I got in my head. Gita went in right after me.
His "Oh no!" right after he jumped made us all laugh because that's what you feel like when you are mid-air- what have I done? Here are some still shots of their jump.
The "Oh no!" moment.
Even though last time Liesel not only jumped off the breakwall, she flipped off the breakwall and then she jumped off the choppy side- she was reticent. Again, the jump looked a lot further since the water was lower and she had gotten in her head. Finally she made the plunge.
Ireland was the brave one and after a jump with Brent, then helping Sydney, she wanted one more good jump.
Away she went.
We went back to the hotel to change, rest and play some games.
Cards Against Humanity- Family Edition was hilarious!
Next to this was a big staircase which had stunning views of Lake Michigan at the top.
We found this adorable pavilion with telescopes and I just happened to have some quarters in my bag.
On a whim, we decided to stop at American Spoon for some gelato.
Gita and I shared the coconut and the pineapple. That pineapple tasted just like a creamy Dole Whip and it was SO good! In the corner of this picture you can the the little boy who was watching Gita intently.Just before we returned it, we let Liesel and Ireland go out on their own. This is just another sign of our family growing up. The girls used to be content to just play in the sand on the beach. This was a fun, new memory to make with them now that they are old enough.
I dove into the coconut chip while the girls dove into theirs!
Especially Ireland:
Again, carrying those baby wipes came in handy!
It started raining pretty hard so we decided against going anywhere to see the fireworks- even though it had cleared up, the ground was stilly soggy. We were again able to watch them from our balcony which was lovely and we didn't mind missing the crowds.Driving home I really wanted to get a picture by this sign and as we neared it I blasted Livin' on a Prayer. Aside from jumping off the breakwall, this was my favorite memory from the entire trip- flying down the freeway and belting out "Oooooh we're half way there! Oooooh oh! Livin' on a prayer. Take my hand and we'll make it I swear. Ooooooh oh! Livin' on a prayer." I think it's kinda cool we spent the 4th of July a tad closer to the North Pole than to the equator.
The girls humored me in taking this photo of them making parallel arms.
Then of course the oldest three needed individuals (Sydney didn't care so much).









1 comment:
I'm catching up on your blog. This trip looks amazing.
Post a Comment