Monday, December 03, 2007

Check Up

I had my monthly check up with my OB-GYN this morning. Lately before the doctor comes in they've been sending med students. For the most part, these girls have been nice but I'm always tempted to say something like, "My pee has turned blue and there's a voice in my head telling me to find Xanadu on a wooden horse... but that's normal, right?" Then she'd run for my doctor and I wouldn't have to repeat everything I've just told the med student to my doctor once she arrives. One other thing, the med students seem to have a hard time finding the heartbeat which scares the snot out of me. Before placing the sonogram monitor thingy on me the med student asked me if I knew where the baby was positioned. Either that was a weird question or I'm a really bad mother... it's a toss up. I'm pretty sure she covered my entire belly looking for it and there was a moment when I swear she said, "Did you hear that? Kind of like a horse? That was it." Okay, I've heard my girl's heartbeat before but it's NEVER sounded like a horse. I again contemplated making the blue pee comment.

My doctor and I caught up and she mentioned that I needed to get a flu shot. Oi... I'm not so good with needles and being pregnant has been a "challenge" for me in that regard. It's been made even more "challenging" based on the fact that those who have drawn my blood were the most uncaring, unsympathetic people found on God's green earth. Maybe they all worked for Leona Helmsly at one point or perhaps they've all had a lobotomy. One lady gave me a bruise 3 inches long and another dude went right through my vein and had me screaming in pain. At least that bruise wasn't quite so big. I found my salvation in Luz: she was SO fast and SO kind. I literally jumped up and hugged her I was so happy. But I digress...

My doctor was giving me a hard time about this flu shot and she deflected every excuse I threw at her like teflon.

"Yeah, you guys are out of the kind that doesn't have any murcury soooo, I can't get that."
"No no! We got a shipment that don't have the murcury."

"Ahhhh, wait a minute! I got one the last time I was here! Yes! I DISTINCLY remember getting a flue shot last month."
"Are you pulling my chain?" she says as she looks through my chart. Stupid chart.

"The last one I got actually GAVE me the flu so isn't that more dangerous than chancing it with a case of the flu?" Okay, that last flu shot was 8 years ago in the MTC and I kid you not, I seriously considered not serving a mission just because of it. Then I got the flu which made the whole experience that much more futile.
"Well, considering how much you travel this is a precaution I strongly recommend you take."

Brent was absolutely no help... traitor. The med student watched all this like someone watching a tennis match. She was silent and her head ping ponged between us. Unfortunately Luz couldn't give it to me which was yet another blow. My doctor asked me to wait in the doorway of the examining room while she ran down the hall to the nurse's office. I'm sure she said something like, "Code Red... this one's really psycho so have the straitjacket on hand." So my arm is a little sore and I'm feeling a little picked on.

When I stepped out of the subway the violinist was there again and this time she was playing Chardis. Last time she was there she was playing Ashokan Farewell. All my sisters know these pieces well and now I'm wondering if this subway violinist is a graduate of Mrs. Wiebner's City High School orchestra class.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Having an epidural will cure you of your fear of needles. You'll be SO thankful for needles as you proclaim your love for you anesthesiologist and swear to name you baby after him/her. Unless you would somehow have the last one I had, who was a complete idiot and talked on his cell phone the whole time. Subsequently taking 45 minutes to get the epidural in and ultimately overdosing me on Duramorph......but I digress.....The time is getting close and I am SO excited for you guys!!

Chelsea said...

I'm going to add to Lisa's comment: just don't look at the size of the epidural needle. Do. Not. Do. It. Trust me on this. I would still say God Bless Epidurals, though.