Sunday, October 31, 2021

Happy Halloween!

I neglected to get a group photo of the girls in their Halloween costumes. It felt like everyone was going a different direction and well, it just didn't happen. I made sure to get plenty of individuals though! Here's Sydney as Little Red Riding Hood:



Brigitta went back and forth between Hermione Granger and Luna Lovegood and settled on Hermione. Getting that frizzy hair was a snap- it's kind of her natural state of being honestly.

Ireland wanted to be a minion then changed her mind to a young Ellie from Up. Unfortunately, her overalls came late so she had to just settle for the yellow shirt and some Disney pins I had on hand.

Halloween is such a great time of year to use a mask to enhance an outfit. It might be hard to see but this one has all the balloons and the house is in the bottom right corner.

Liesel... aurgh LIESEL! She told me last minute she was going to use the Rosie the Riveter costume which was scattered in several pieces around the house. I frantically gathered them up while she showered and kind of threw them at her so she'd be on time to the ward Trunk or Treat. Even her socks have Rosie on them- those are my favorite!

It turned out OK I guess but it was a lot of hassle that could have been avoided. She made it more or less on time. However, until the little ones are vaccinated, they aren't going to indoor events at the church. It didn't even occur to me that would mean Liesel was completely alone for the chili cook-off portion of the evening. Apparently it didn't bother her though because she sat with a family and chatted them up. I've thrown her into so many situations where she has no one and made her figure out how to be sociable and friendly on her own. She has really stepped up. I guess I can handle throwing together a Halloween costume for her last minute. 

So proud of this girl. She may be tiny but she really is strong in so many ways.

The girls felt strongly that Halloween wasn't a real Halloween last year because of the pandemic so they were really excited to celebrate this year. Then we looked at the calendar and realized Halloween fell on a Sunday. It's kind of hard to justify an essentially pagan tradition on the sabbath. The girls were crestfallen about it. I promised to take them back to the MOSI Boo Fest the Friday before to keep their spirits up. Ha- pun!




Honestly, it was kind of a bust. Traffic into Chicago on a Friday evening is always heavy but it was particularly bad. The girls were fussing and fighting and by the time we got there I had a splitting headache. I thought it ran until 9PM but it closed at 8PM so we had just over half an hour to see everything. That's just not possible at a mammoth museum like the MOSI. I took some individuals of the girls though, so there's that.




Gita really wanted to show off her splits.

They briefly saw a beetle. There were lots of creepy crawly creatures but they were rapidly packing them up so this is as good as it got.

We did come across this display which was pretty cool. The sign behind the uniform states, Actress Nichelle Nichols is famous for playing Lt. Uhura in the Star Trek series and movies. She also worked for NASA in the late 1970's and 1980's recruiting astronaut candidates. Many of her new recruits were women or members of racial and ethnic minorities. Although Nichelle Nichols didn't go into space herself, she flew aboard the C-141 Astronomy Observatory, which analyzed the atmospheres of Mars and Saturn on an eight hour, high altitude mission. Ms Nichols recruits include:
Guion Bluford: the first African-American astronaut
Sally Ride: the first female American astronaut
Judith Resnik*: the second female American astronaut
Ronald McNair*: the second African-American astronaut
*Astronauts Resnik and McNair perished during the launch of the Challenger on January 28, 1986

Right next to it was this- ET's makeshift communication device to get in touch with his spaceship.

Now I need to watch that movie again!
 
Liesel had to get a picture with this sun since it matched the one she created on her face. She did this in the car on the way to the museum- in the dark no less!

Let's get another look at the bones she inked on her hand- apparently while she was bored in school. 

On both sides!

Halloween wasn't as bad as we thought it would be. The girls actually had fun staying home and handing out candy. Reagan texted me this and it made me laugh. Glad we decided to become The Legend because really, go big or go home when it comes to Halloween candy!


I found this sugar skull bowl at World Market and thought it would make the perfect addition to our Halloween decor. I'm so glad I bought it- it makes me smile every time I see it. 

Our mantlepiece has a bit of a Dia de Los Muertos theme along with Halloween, so it works!

Liesel made everyone mummy wrapped hot dogs and jalapeno poppers. There was leftover cheese so she found a way to use that up as well.

The girls created this dance routine to Spooky, Scary Skeletons.


There were some ups and downs but all in all it was a great Halloween!

No comments: