It was about now that it finally dawned on Brent and I that this vacation was happening. The parks weren't going to suddenly close, we weren't going to find a refund on our credit card or have to rebook flights for the 4th time. Most of all we weren't going to have to sit it out because someone had come down with Covid. Miraculously, in the middle of a pandemic we were having a family vacation. We were able to sink into it with abandon and just look forward to another day in the parks.
Ireland laughed at the evacuation sign- can I get a Whoop Whoop? Haha!
We were up bright and early for rope drop- first in line at the gates.
This picture makes me laugh. It would have been even more perfect if Brent could have just walked right down the middle of the street- then I could get that iconic shot of Main Street with Sleeping Beauty's castle in the background. But Brent doesn't think of that kind of thing and he'd met a friend in line and was chatting with him (you can see him there on the right) so he couldn't hear me.
Rope Drop: YES!!! We did rope drop every day except one when we all needed a little extra rest. Between the time difference and our routinely early schedule, it was easy to be ready to go not just early, but early early. There were several benefits to rope drop: 1- The park is fresh and clean. Not that the park gets super dirty- but there's something about seeing everything still unused. 2- The photo ops are the best at rope drop. For the rest of the day, Main Street and Sleeping Beauty's Castle are completely congested so this was a great opportunity to get those money shots. 3- Getting to the front of the queue on a busy ride and knocking that out set us up for the rest of the day. No matter what happened, at least we had that big ride under our belts and we could relax if other places were busy. 4- Even though it was November, every day was 90* and the park was so much more enjoyable in those early morning hours than around lunch time.
I was definitely blown away at how quickly the crowds filled in behind us!
Love that pristine, empty park in the background!
See Brent Run. Well not run, walk slowly and safely to the point that everyone has to run to keep up.
Whitney mentioned she would like to be a fly on the wall when we did Smuggler's Run as a family. We were just so blown away by Galaxy's Edge we kind of half-listened to the instructions and as we went into the ride the cast member reminded us that we needed to work together. I mean, I was so overcome at the prospect of flying the Millennium Falcon, it just didn't register what exactly we were about to do.
Aye de mi that ride nearly tore our family apart! Here's the thing- if someone, say steers a bit wrong and bumps into a wall, the entire ride jolts you sideways. I was in charge of the basic up and down maneuvering and everyone was screaming, "UP!!!" to which I replied, "I AM GOING UP! I CAN'T GO ANYMORE UP!!!" For that first run we were just trying to fly above the chaos and oh my what chaos it was. We were all pretty annoyed with each other as we stepped off the ride but also determined to ride it again and figure that thing out. Now I get why Whitney wanted to be a fly on the wall.
There weren't many crowds yet so we took some photos.
I saw this death grip photo on several Disneyland posts and then everyone had to do it.
This one is my favorite. They have this kind of a relationship anyway.
Blue Milk: YES! Green Milk: Meh. Brent wanted to move on to the next ride but there was absolutely no line so we grabbed the blue and green milk. Even that early in the morning the blue milk was a perfect little treat because it tasted like the leftover milk from a bowl of Fruit Loops cereal but then iced. It was kind of a breakfast treat in a way. The green milk had a decidedly citrus taste that wasn't to my liking but Gita loved it.
We had rides to hit, but Galaxy's Edge is a wonderous place and we danced our way out of there.
From there we hit the classics of Big Thunder Mountain and Dumbo.
I really appreciate the rides that have a place for photos so you can take your time to get poses and individual shots.
Pinocchio was nearby so we knocked that one out as well. Loved the stained glass in the queue!
Brent and I came out of this one wanting to watch the movie again because there's a lot of Christian symbolism in that story. It would be good to see it again with grown up eyes.
The Grey Stuff Gateaux: YES! It really is delicious! Like whipped Oreos and then the raspberries in the middle gave it a fresh, fruity twist rather than straight up sugar. The Red Rose Tavern is just charming as well.
From afar, the Canal Boat Ride didn't seem like any big deal. Just kind of floating along looking at miniatures from the movies. It was actually really nice- one of Sydney's favorite rides. Our boat was so full they let Sydney and Gita sit up on the bow and they were really excited about that little privilege.
The day was starting to heat up and it was nice to be on the water a bit.
Sydney really did love spotting things like Aladdin's lamp. It was a sweet ride I would definitely do again!
We headed over to Mr. Toad's Wild Ride where Gita and Sydney had fun pretending they were chained up in line.
This is another oldie but goodie with a car outside for photo ops.
Pretending to crash- haha!
Turkey Leg: YES! Chili-Lime Corn on the Cob: YES! Brent wanted to keep riding rides but once he sat down with that turkey leg he was glad we stopped for a bit. I think everyone kind of dismissed the corn on the cob until they began eating it and then they couldn't get enough.
We picked those two things clean, for sure. We found a quiet, shady spot to eat with ducks to entertain Gita. Not that Gita isn't ever entertained- she's a one-woman show that girl!
The weather was heating up and the park was getting crowded but we decided to hit two more rides before heading back to the hotel. The first was the Haunted Mansion.
Remember what I said about avoiding New Orleans Square around lunch? Still true.
And can I just be honest? I just don't get the big deal about the Haunted Mansion. Fans talk about it like it is the best ride in the history of theme parks and I dunno, I just don't see it. I mean it's fine, but I don't get the fuss. The Nightmare Before Christmas overlay was there so at least we had that added effect.
The crypts are kind of clever. Ok.
We just wanted the girls to ride it and decide for themselves. They'd surprised us up until now with what they loved and what they didn't so at least cover our bases, ya know?
Most of the wait was in full sun which definitely added to my distaste for the whole thing. The theming is mildly entertaining but because of the heat I would say this is not a good queue.
Liesel snapped this selfie looking somehow young and innocent in that Minnie hat but also like a sassy teenager at the same time. So I guess that's an accomplishment! Like we thought, the girls thought the ride was ok, but didn't see the big attraction. We could check this one off the list as done and really and truly avoid New Orleans Square around lunch from here on out!
Since we were headed back to the hotel where the girls were going to get wet in the pool, I wanted that classic photo from Splash Mountain and it's a great photo! Brent knew right where the camera was, I couldn't stop laughing because I heard the girls scream when they saw the flume, Gita is bracing for impact, Sydney is tired of us forcing her to face her fears, Ireland is like, "Wait, what?" and Liesel is pure glee. They are all so similar but so different and I'm so, so, so glad we got our Splash Mountain photo!
Gita volunteered to sit up front not knowing she would get 100% soaked. If she had jumped in the water she couldn't have gotten more wet! It was really hot out by now and we promised we were heading straight back to the hotel.
Now and again we had wandered into shops and looked at pins but no one really found anything they were interested in to keep or trade. Then we hit the motherlode at the Westward Ho Trading Company where they seemed to have tons of pins we hadn't seen anywhere else. Brent had charged ahead and was mystified to find he had no family with him so I explained why we were held up. He went to Tangaroa Terrace to put in an order for Dole Whips which ended up being a bit of a debacle. I took over waiting for the order while the girls got in their swimsuits and we met at the pool after Brent picked up an order for lunch from Earl of Sandwich.
Honestly, I was prepared for the girls to be just as underwhelmed with the Dole Whips as they were with the Haunted Mansion, but they took one bite and fell in love. Brent and I have always felt they are fine, but we wouldn't necessarily cross the street for them. Oh my, the girls lapped them up and asked if we could get more before the end of vacation. Earl of Sandwich: YES! I can see why people rave about this place- just good food, no fuss. Yet again we spent the lunch hours playing in the pool and relaxing away from the park.
Crowns: NO! When I went to Disney World with Janeal she insisted we wear tiaras for a day. I thought it was an odd request but I was happy to go along. I have to admit that constantly being called princess really made my day and I was eager for my girls to have their own princess moments at Disneyland. In fact, the first outfits I ever purchased for this trip were these t-shirt and tulle skirt sets on Zulily. I bought them when Disneyland was the remotest of remote possibilities. As we geared up for this trip I grilled Liesel about being beyond the princess stage and emphasized IF we ever went to Disneyland, I'd want to get photos of the girls in front of the castle in princess stuff and Liesel said she was ok with that. Well I can't leave well enough alone and I decided the outfits needed to have not just a tiara, but a full-fledged crown to go with them. Measuring for them was a pain and Liesel's head circumference didn't translate well to the size of the crown. Packing them was a pain and they took up a lot of room. Then wearing them was a pain because they were itchy. For the most part, they took them off so keeping track of them on rides was also a pain. The girls just didn't care if anyone called them princess because they weren't entirely comfortable. But bless their hearts, they humored me to get those photos I was after.
Monorail: No. One supposed perk of staying at the Disneyland Hotel is it's convenient location to the Monorail. Even though it was up and running again, Brent mentioned he wasn't so sure this was that big of a perk and he was right. It's a bit of a walk into Downtown Disney and it's a monorail, not a bullet train. We had some lovely views of the park but like any ride we had to wait a few times until there was room for us. Maybe if it's raining and you just happen to catch it at the right time it's a great thing but we never rode it again.
I'd heard Autopia was a lot of fun and so we tried that one out. Brent and I went with the two little girls and the two older girls drove their own car. Fun, right? Let's just say Sydney should not be given a driver's license any time soon and for some reason Ireland's car wasn't working right. It kept stalling and not realizing how frustrated she was, I kept yelling at her from behind while Sydney rammed into her (in spite of the signs asking you not do so). A cast member had to jump in Ireland's car to help her out and she left the ride in tears.
I promised her we would go back and I would ride with her to make sure she had a better time but for the moment, she was pretty upset. They were able to get a "driver's license" as a memento and Gita was really thrilled to add that to her wallet. She had a blast driving with Brent.
Since we were in Tomorrowland we did Star Tours and Astro Blasters. The crowds were lining the streets for the fireworks so I was anxious to get those pictures of the girls in front of Sleeping Beauty's Castle before we weren't able to move.
Liesel was such a good sport about that outfit and I told her she could slip off the skirt. She instantly relaxed just being in her shorts; a much better fit with her personality!
Her little sisters are definitely more in that princess stage though and happy to pose for me.
Of course Brent struck up a conversation with a couple while I was snapping away so it took a bit to reel him back in so we could have a photo but we had a couple of ready photographers by then! This photo means a lot to me because this Disneyland trip was my big motherhood dream and I had no way of achieving it when I initially conceived it in my mind. It was so expensive and then the pandemic just threw everything topsy turvy. That we were standing there in front of Sleeping Beauty's Castle- well a dream really is a wish your heart makes!
We all went to Space Mountain before Brent took the oldest 3 back to the hotel so we could have our 1:1 night with Sydney. Somehow we were famished again and I had the chicken and mashed potatoes from the Plaza Inn on my list of park foods to try. The only problem was the tables were filled due to the fireworks. I could see a couple of chairs and I put Sydney there, all by her lonesome to grab some food with strict instructions to grab a table if she saw one open up. When I came out she was still sitting by herself in that chair so I scooted up next to her and prepared to eat with the tray on my lap. A kindly lady nearby took pity on us and offered to share the table she was seated at with her son.
Chicken & Mashed Potatoes: No. I think Brent has spoiled us because he makes amazing mashed potatoes. They are the kind of mashed potatoes that taste one way initially and then round out the flavor by the time you are done swallowing. Sydney took one bite, accurately assessed they weren't as good as Dad's, and didn't touch them again. The kindly mom and her son left after a bit and we had the table to ourselves and as luck would have it, right next to us was a family with a little girl named Sydney. Her older sister shouted, "Sydney NO!!!" which made our Sydney stiffen. As I explained she wasn't talking to her we made the connection and well, the Sydney's became fast friends and they ended up watching the fireworks together through the hedges.
Brent caught up with us and polished off the last of the chicken and mashed potatoes. He'd weaved his way through the crowd on Main Street when they turned on the snow which was beautiful. I told myself I didn't care about the fireworks show but when they played the Trepak from The Nutcracker my heart soared. I love that music and the fireworks over the castle just made it magical.
Now that we were fed and rested a bit, we headed out for our 1:1 adventure but we had to get this photo of Main Street- so pretty!
The one ride Sydney wanted to do with us was Smuggler's Run and this time she wanted to fly the Millennium Falcon! I think she'd been relegated to an engineer when we went as a family and she had her sites set a bit higher.
Even the cast member commented that maybe someone else should fly next time but she was pleased as punch to be in control of the controls (and the jump to light speed).
From there we hit Winnie the Pooh which I thought was looking particularly aged (you can see where the cardboard is getting smashed when the panels open and closed) but Sydney loved it. Perhaps because this is when we took a break to pick up her little bag of treats.
Tigger Tail: Yes. I'm not one for marshmallows, but the orange cream taste went perfectly with some chocolate and those marshmallows!
She requested to ride the Teacups with Brent so he could spin her really fast and I returned to our favorite popcorn kiosk for a refill and a nice, cold coke to carry us through the evening. Man I love this photo of the two of them!
Sydney really wanted a return to the Carousel so we made sure she could ride Mary Poppin's horse just to make it extra special.
We did the Castle walk-through and this girl loved exploring all the nooks and crannies of that place. She was determined to stay until midnight but we could tell she was slowing down a bit.
Rather than drag her on another thrill ride, we strolled down Main Street and took in all the holiday decorations. We sat by the big tree, snuggled and people watched for a while.
Somehow I managed to miss a photo of the three of us, but I promise I was there, right alongside them just soaking in the magic.
Just as we were about to head out of the gates, Sydney spied Mickey and Minnie all dressed in their holiday finest and we had to snap one last photo:
I have to hand it to her, the girl stayed up until midnight and enjoyed every minute of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment