Wednesday, December 24, 2025

Christmas Eve

 I worked overtime in the days leading up to Christmas so I could get off work early and join everyone downtown. Sure I would have preferred to just have the day with the family, but it warmed the cockles of my heart when he sent this photo of them all dressed up and ready to go.


Initially I was just planning to meet them at Rockefeller Chapel but I ended up working through my lunch so I just left for the day (rather than take lunch, log in for 20 minutes and then leave for the day).

It was just enough time to get a full family photo and check out some of my favorite Christmas trees.

Of course I have to get a good shot with just the girls!

We only had time for a couple of exhibits and so we stopped by Extreme Ice where the girls were shocked and dismayed to find the ice wall was gone! Turns out it's being moved to another part of the museum so it will be back... eventually.

We headed to Rockefeller Chapel to get a good seat (and good parking!) before Lessons and Carols.

Turns out we were very early and found amazing seats right up front! In years past, I would have been concerned about little kids squirming and complaining but they were all fine to hang out and wait for the program to start. They even explored the amazing chapel a bit and we considered the possibility of sitting in the balcony next time (see Ireland up there?)


Sydney accidentally sat on her candle so she swapped hers with Brent and I have to say he managed it without dripping wax on himself quite skillfully! As the girls have grown and developed their own love for music, this tradition has only become a richer part of our Christmas. 

After all of the hustle and bustle of December, the Silent Night part of the program always brings me the peace I'm looking for. Something about raising that candle on the last verse and seeing the chapel in the warm glow makes it feel like everything is going to be okay. 

We've done Christmas crackers for years but it was when I watched With Love, Meghan: Holiday Celebration that I found out people usually cross their arms and crack them together. I mentioned it to a friend from South Africa who said, "Ooooh yes! It's bad luck to open one on your own- they're meant to be opened together!" Well that explains several years of bad luck! I was determined to break the streak so we all crossed our arms and pulled at the same time. Gita must have tugged a bit harder because she ended up with two, uncracked crackers in her hands.

We tried again and finally got those suckers to crack! A little Notorious B.I.G. homage with those colorful crowns.


With the girls in their Christmas pjs, they began laying their presents under the tree and one by one went off to bed. After a looong work week and a late night, I was fading fast but I managed to help Brent stuff stockings before falling asleep watching Christmas movies. 

I'd had most of the presents bough and wrapped before October- a record for me. Between a new job and Disneyland I knew it would be a stretch to throw in more expenses. Even so, there's always last-minute preparations that demand some time and attention (usually the girls gifts to each other and to Brent) and now it was done. Christmas was ready at last! And that feels so very satisfying!!!

No comments: