
Brent got Columbus Day off for work while I dragged my bootie out of bed... no easy task considering my bootie is getting bigger by the second. I'm beginning to think it's growing at the same rate as my belly and my body is trying to keep me from toppling over. Great in theory, but I look like a yin yang when you look at me sideways. Today someone told me that a lot of heartburn means the baby will have a lot of hair. I've had no heartburn to speak of but loads of acid reflux. I wonder what I get for that? Probably lots of cellulite. I'll have a very bald baby with lots of cellulite. The apple doesn't fall far!!
At work I got out of doing the divisional update. This is a general department update given to the entire division which is about 150 people. A handful of VP's attend along with the president and CFO not to mention Marketing who likes to take your picture while you try and get through the power point.
I've done more than my fair share of these divisional updates and the average bear might find it odd I do them at all. I'm not a supervisor, manager, director or VP. However, it's no exaggeration that many people would rather die than do any form of public speaking. In my tenure at my company I've been approached by many a supervisor, manager, director and even VP asking me to do some sort of public speaking gig for them. Great right? Initially perhaps, it got my name out there and demonstrated a little more depth in my talents. Now it's beginning to feel like I'm a go-to person for people who should be going and doing themselves.
In a moment of privacy I laid it out for my manager: The reason I'm being given this choice "opportunity" is really because no one else wants to do it. He heartily agreed with me there, but mentioned even he didn't want to hear an update from some of the managers because their public speaking is, well, uhmmm, LACKING. Doing something like this doesn't show up on any kind of review so it's a lot of work for nothing. I don't mean to be cocky but even he agreed it's not really a professional development opportunity since my public speaking skills are above average. He told me he thought since I was SO good at it, I would enjoy it. I told him while I'd normally agree (yes I did it, I pulled the pregnancy card) but when I'm lightheaded and nauseous it's not quite as "fun." So he delegated it to someone else. Hooray!
After a loooong day at work my love picked me up (drove into town and all!) and drove me home. He'd been doing laundry, swept the kitchen floor, organized some more of his boxes of... well I'm not entirely sure what's in those boxes but we've had them for many moons. I told him I hadn't been feeling well all day and he pulled out 3 different kinds of soups. Schaweet! He'd be a great stay at home dad, I just know it.
2 comments:
Can you send Brent to MY house next? :)
hey wait, lisa said what I was going to say. i'm getting tired of doing all the dishes around here.
Post a Comment