Saturday, October 06, 2007

Our Lil' Punkin'

This morning I begged Brent to take me to MIT for the great glass pumpkin sale. Deep in my heart of hearts I know one day we'll leave the fair city of Boston and there are a few items I'd like to have with me to remember our time here.
One I'm proud to have is my Reverse the Curse poster I got after the Red Sox won the World Series on my birthday in 2004. There used to be a sign on Storrow Drive that said "Reverse Curve" but some vandal had altered it to read "Reverse the Curse." The many years I've been in Boston I never saw it replaced or fixed and I have to admit probably everyone liked it that way. It was on a stretch that led from the airport to my home so it greeted me whenever I came back into town from vacation or a business trip.
The second item I'd like (someday) is a gurgling cod pitcher from Shreve, Crump and Low. They're fairly expensive and I can't decide on the blue or white one so that's on the shelf for now. They've made a pink one for breast cancer awareness but somehow that one's not tempting. To catch a peek: http://www.shrevecrumpandlow.com/history/gurgling_cod.aspx
The final item is a glass pumpkin made by an MIT student. My sweet so sweet friend Crystal has an adorable blue one on her shelf. Every time I visited her I'd look at that pumpkin and envy her. They're too classy to be tchotchke and too interesting to be ignored. She warned Brent and I if we want to get one we should be prepared to shell out some money. So I begged and pleaded and the love of my life came with me to find ourselves a pumpkin.
The sale started at 10 and when we got there at 5 till the field was teeming with people. We found a parking space right on Mass Ave... it was almost as if God wanted me to have my pumpkin. First I saw a little green one I liked. Then we found a lovely burgundy. Brent hunted and hunted for a blue one... he liked the blue ones and since he was such a sport I was happy to play along. Then we found it, a gorgeous blue pumpkin, good sized, with a long, winding stem. Veni, vidi, vici. For more info on the great glass pumpkin sale:

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I like the pumpkin! So, are they really all stewn out on the ground like the picture in the website shows? How fun!

Chelsea said...

Since my opionion counts here, I vote for the blue pitcher.