Friday, November 16, 2007

Flying High

I'd like to do a shout out to the toilets at the Chicago O'Hare airport. They are among the reasons O'Hare is one of my favorite airports. They have a plastic sleeve that goes around the toilet seat and when you go into the stall you just wave your hand and voila! New plastic for your bootie. I hate to admit I've never actually figured out the paper ones that tend to be hung on the back wall. Are you supposed to tear out the middle part? Throw them away when you're done? Flush them? Too many questions. Oh, and the stalls at O'Hare have long doors so you don't worry about hanging your bag and having someone reach over while you're doing your business and steal all your precious things. The stalls are practically little rooms! Like the toilets in France. Okay, I've never actually been to France but that's what I've heard. There's almost always someone in there cleaning and cleanliness is next to godliness. I'll actually hold it until I reach O'Hare because I love their toilets.


O'Hare is home to my favorite airport fare: the chocolate banana smoothie. Usually trying to find something healthy to eat in a terminal is about as likely as finding you left $1000 in your winter coat last year. You might find a limp salad from a Chili's To Go, and you might find a $20 you forgot about in your coat but not the jackpot. You can also find Chicago style hot dogs which I happen to love. Piled high with slices of tomato and a slice of pickle along with the ketchup, mustard, relish and onions it's like a party in my mouth.

The terminals at O'Hare just make you FEEL like you're in an international airport with the high, curved ceilings and it just so happens they were beginning to put up their holiday decorations. Finally, I guess I love O'Hare because it was more likely than not the last stop before I landed in the heart of the heartland and I was home. Oh the anticipation, I still feel it whenever I step off the plane there! I've heard many people say they avoid O'Hare like the plague but me, I guess I'm lucky because I haven't had a horrible time with delays there. I'm also just a sentimental girl.

3 comments:

Reggs said...

This post makes me want to eat a hot dog and use the toilet at the same time. MMM!! I don't get too paranoid about the plastic thing. I figure, I wash my butt in the shower and it goes straight into clean underwear. Unless someone out there is rubbing there bum hole all over the seats, I don't worry too much about it. Wait, should I worry about that?

Chelsea said...

Yea for O'Hare! I loved going there as a kid because of the lights in the walkways between terminals.

Reagan's comment makes me laugh. I am a user of toilet seat protectors. You never know what diseases people rub all over those things. Or at the very least, I have to assume their butts are not as clean as mine.

Lisa said...

I find it hilarious that you questioned how to use the paper toilet seat covers. I've had that SAME conversation with myself before. Sad to say, I spent several minutes thinking about it until I figured the damn things out. However, I RARELY use public rest rooms. But when I do, I'm usually about to pee down my leg, so I'm dancing around just to get my zipper down and don't have time to mess with the stupid paper covers anyway. I figure, other butts touch it, it's just skin. If it was a body part with mucous membrane covering it, I'd worry. But skin is skin.