Friday, November 02, 2007

Cardinal Sin

I confess I did it; I cut my hair. Not a trim but 8 inches to be exact. In spite of everyone's advice that you never, ever, EVER, under pain of death, cut your hair while pregnant. There's great logic behind that reasoning. I'm gaining weight by the nanosecond, my hormones are all over the place and this is not a time for drastic action.

I'm such a rebel :) I also cut the tags off my mattress and go swimming right after I've eaten. I went into the salon and the stylist took one look at my waist-length hair and immediately said, "Just a trim then?" "Nope, we're chopping it off." She stopped mid-stride and eyed my long, long hair again. I pulled out the photo. Now that I'm going to be a mom, I need a supermom haircut. After months of searching and weighing my options I finally found it when I saw Julia Stiles in The Bourne Ultimatum. THAT was what I wanted. When I sat down in the chair I told the stylist it's a truth universally acknowledged that a pregnant woman in possession of long hair must be made to keep it long. I needed her to make this haircut look like it was the best decision of my life. She smiled wryly and we were off to shampoo. Minutes later as she combed through my dripping hair, parted it and pulled out the scissors she commented how calm I was.

The chatty salon went silent as my tendrils fell in long, curly heaps on the floor. Everyone watched. Even other stylists with clients stopped clipping and hair drying to watch. About half-way through, my stylist commented that she'd always wanted to do this with her own hair but was too scared. Yes yes, I was courageously cutting my coif off. When the last long piece tumbled to the floor I felt like William Wallace in the movie Braveheart stretched, disemboweled and about to be decapitated. FREEEEEEEDOMMMMM!!! Unwittingly, she had chopped off years of loneliness, heartbreak, fear, uncertainty, despair, unfulfilled dreams. All that was past had suddenly disappeared and you could see my face so much more clearly. No more hiding behind a curtain of hair, this was me.
With my supermom haircut and my expanding belly I see nothing but the future ahead of me. It sounds silly, but I could see a good mom looking back at me in the mirror. One that just might be an amazing influence on her child. And if that didn't work out, I could always help amnesiac rogue assassins expose corruption in the government bureaucracy. A happy second option :)

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

Wooow. Did you donate your hair to locks of love or something? I want to see before and after pictures!!! I just can't picture the short, short hair. I'm used to it reaching lengths to make a polygamist wife turn green with envy.

Reggs said...

Ok, I'm going to comment even though YOOOOOU never comment on MYYYYYY blog, but here goes.
Very gusty move, big sister. However, maybe you needed that physical change to help prepare you for what is ahead.
Another good tip. Go out in public, unshowered, no bra, and try and get all of your groceries in under 7 minutes. believe me, you'll find that useful later.

Lisa said...

Heeeellllloooo....I want to see a picture of YOU with this cut, not Julia Stiles. I'm excited to see! I can imagine it in my mind and I just KNOW it looks fabulous! Please entertain my request here.
I LOVE Reagan's advice, so true! The only thing I would add is to throw a monkey in your cart, with a poopy diaper.