Monday, November 12, 2007

Get Your Kicks


I have decided this blog will basically be a retrospective. When something exciting, noteworthy or otherwise anecdotal happens I simply can't find the time to sit down and blog about it. It's always an afterthought. I guess I'd make a horrible journalist.

The other day I'd gotten Brent safely to the subway station and went back home to lie in our warm and comfy bed for juuuuuuuust a little longer. I wasn't really thinking about much when I felt it. A tiny kick in my lower abdomen. Then I felt it again and I was even more sure this was our girl reminding me she was there. I was 20 weeks and starting to feel like a failure because I hadn't felt any kicking but there it was... or should I say there SHE was? I cringed a bit as I called Brent knowing he had a busier than busy day to get through but even over the phone I could sense his excitement as well. When I apologized for bothering him he firmly told me that no, this was important.

The New Testament often talks of how Mary wondered, pondered, marvelled and kept so many thing in her heart regarding her son, Jesus Christ. Although not the mother of the Savior of mankind, I felt a bit of kinship with her at that moment. Maybe my baby did too :)

4 comments:

Reggs said...

Isn't that so fun?!! I am so happy that you finally got to feel her rolling around in there. I love ultrasounds where you get to see them rolling around, even if you can't feel them. The next 20 weeks will be FULL of little (and BIG) kicks. It's fun until they wake you up in the middle of the night because they are doing Tae-Bo in utero.

Chelsea said...

Feeling the baby move is the BEST. I think it's the only good thing about pregnancy except for when it's over and you finally have a baby in your arms. I remember with Henry I felt inhabited by an alien until he started moving often enough to interact with. That made it much better. Luckily I felt him move early enough to not feel inhabited for too long. I don't think this current little guy ever stops moving or ever sleeps. It will be interesting to see what he's like.

Lisa said...

I agree with Chelsea...it's the best part of being pregnant! Let's pray that yours don't decide to use your bladder as a trampoline constantly between 11 pm and 3 am. For some reason, my last two had that tendency. When you feel her moving around a little more consistently, try this: Lay on your back, pull your shirt up a bit, and rest a glass of ice water on your belly. Eli and Jack would always try to "kick it off." Pure entertainement, I swear!

Lisa said...

I think I was seriously in stupid mode when I typed that comment. I'd like to tell you how this keyboard and I don't get along and it misses key strokes all the time. However, every mistake I see in that post up there has nothing to do with missed keystrokes. I swear, I really am educated.