Saturday, November 30, 2024

November Tid Bits

The Wall Street Journal ran an article titled The Other Election Result: Christmas Starts Now. Regardless of whether Americans voted red, blue or something in between, everyone agreed it had been a particularly divisive and exhausting election so they were breaking out the Christmas decorations early. Years ago I realized that less than a month to deck the halls only to take it all down and face a long, harsh winter was wearing on me, particularly as a mom. 

I felt so much pressure to make everything magical for the kids but squeeze in all the concerts and end of term projects and service opportunities but I needed to be sure to slow down and contemplate why we were celebrating... for me it was an impossible task. Initially we started putting the Christmas tree up on Thanksgiving. Then I decided we wouldn't take any decorations down until Three Kings Day (apparently a tradition in the South). This year we pulled out the Christmas decorations on Halloween and you know what? It was perfect. We enjoyed a festive house longer, I had most of the presents and all the packages finished by Thanksgiving and per tradition, the Christmas cards mailed on Black Friday. It may not be for everyone, but it was definitely something that worked for us. So here are the highlights from November:

Winter peonies were poppin'!

Whitney attended the Era's Tour and sent the girls some merch which they adored!

Others in the neighborhood were celebrating TS as well. Seeing this on my walk around the lake made me smile.

We had a 504 meeting for Liesel and this one was rather intense as we look to high school graduation after next year. Super proud of this girl and all she has accomplished!

Our tree topper is an angel holding a star (so we get the best of both worlds) and Brent gave Gita a boost to place her.

Speaking of Gita- I love to bust her chops now and again.

When we came home from that game, she insisted on eating her pizza on the Christmas plates. If anyone is a fellow cheerleader of Christmas celebration, it's Gita.

I have questions... why would watching The Chosen make me a good candidate for watching any of these other shows?


 I follow The Points Guy and almost cheered aloud when I read this because I've always heard there's this secret time of night or day of the week where the flight algorithms reset and it's when flights are the cheapest. I've always just relentlessly checked over and over until the price drops.

Nothing says Christmas quite like the soft glow of electric sex gleaming in the window!

Again, the winter peonies adorned our kitchen table all month long and I loved it!

Sydney and I laughed at the Ages 10+ who was dabbing.

Yup- met my spouse at BYU!

Looking through my photos I realized I didn't have any pictures from Thanksgiving. That's another holiday we decided to make our own by having the feast on Wednesday evening. Rather than roast a whole turkey, we bought a roasted chicken from Costco and then focused on all the side dishes everyone loves. Then we spent Thursday eating pie for breakfast and watching the Macy's parade while eating sandwiches. Again, not for everyone but it really takes the stress out of the day and we really love it. After a busy November, we moved eagerly into December feeling much more prepared and much more at peace!

No comments: